Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mouse cursor is uncontrollable. ?is this a virus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tusderoos

Tusderoos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

I have never posted on any site ever before, so please be patient with me.

I am having incredible trouble with my desktop mouse cursor which has a life of it's own.

I live in the UK.

I have a Sony Vaio VGC-LV1S desktop computer running Windows Vista Home, with service pack 2, with bluetooth mouse and keyboard, both Sony Vaio makes. Mouse is Vaio VGP-WMS3. I have McAfee paid and Malwarebytes and Superantispyware free versions.

The mouse cursor suddenly started moving erratically on the horizontal plane. I can control in up and down, but horizontally it's a bit like trying to push a button while your 5 year old is shaking your arm from side to side very vigorously!!

It started 2 days ago while my wife was working on the computer for work, and using nhs.net emails. This is usually a very secure site, and it doesn't allow you to download emails, only view them. I do not believe we have been to any other unusual sites recently.

I have replaced the battery, and cleaned the mouse.

I have disabled and then uninstalled the driver for the mouse, which stops the cursor moving, and obviously my mouse working, but on bootup it occurs again. I have started in safe mode, with and without networking and it's still doing it. When I disconnected the mouse the cursor was still moving.

I have tried rKill in it's various formats which is already on my computer from 3-4 yrs ago. It stopped a few processes, but not the mouse cursor behaviour.

I have run a Malwarebytes and superspy scan. The superspy scan didn't get anything except adware. The Malwarebytes wanted an ungrade. While doing this it failed to upgrade, and now when I try to run it even with the chameleon, it gives me a code 5 error.

Now Malwarebytes will not work at all in safe or normal modes. I did a system restore to 29 september 2012 which was 1.5 weeks before the problem occured.

This did happen to my computer 3-4 yrs ago, but rkill stopped it and malwarebytes removed many viruses.

I am using my laptop to post. Trying to do anything on the desktop is nearly impossible. I'm trying to mainly use the keyboard, but it's very frustrating, and takes me 5-10mins to get it to do what I can normally do in a minute.

I would very much appreciate your help in trying to figure out if this is a virus, or a hardware/software issue.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 60,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hello.

RKill needs to be re downloaded prior to each use as it gets updated.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
2. Restart your computer (very important).
3. Download and run this utility. Mbam clean
4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent.
Note: If using Free version, ignore the part about putting in your license key and activating.
Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration.
Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and Run RKill....
then run an MBAM Quick Scan and post that log.

Run RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 Tusderoos

Tusderoos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hi boopme

Thanks for your step by step advice.

I have to confess I used "repair my computer" in the Ms DOS page yesterday during my 7-8th go at resetting, and rescanning my computer. This time I had already disabled my mouse before this. I was then able to use the key pad as a mouse, and loaded a new version of rkill and MBAM via a flash drive. However I did not do it in the order you have suggested. "Repair my computer" did post a log but I have no idea where this went or is stored.

I have now follwed your instructions in the order you advised, but I fear the logs that might have been saved before this one, all got removed when I uninstalled and reinstalled MBAM. I have copied and pasted the rkill log, and the MBAM log from this time round.

Basically my mouse is behaving, and under control again, and I have not found any obvious viruses with MBAM, Superantispyware, or my McAfee.

here are the logs...

Rkill 2.4.3 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2012 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 10/07/2012 01:55:40 PM in x86 mode.
Windows Version: Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

* Windows Firewall Disabled

[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]
"EnableFirewall" = dword:00000000

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* Windows Defender (WinDefend) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Automatic

* Windows Update (wuauserv) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Automatic (Delayed Start)

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

Program finished at: 10/07/2012 01:57:01 PM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 1 minute(s), and 21 seconds(s)

MBAM log

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.10.07.03

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
T**** and L***** :: G********-PC [administrator] ....sorry I've hidden our names

07/10/2012 13:57:50
mbam-log-2012-10-07 (13-57-50).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 231866
Time elapsed: 24 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Thank you very much for your help so far. Please advise me if there is anything else I should be doing, or if the logs do show an issue.

Thanks

Tusderoos

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 60,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Well then if its functioning well ,we'll call it one of those mysteries that we are glad went away.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#5 Tusderoos

Tusderoos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

Boopme

Thanks for your help.

Have to say my computers running very slow now but at least I can control it again.

Thanks again

Tusderoos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users