Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JUST GOT VERIZON FIOS AND NOW MY LAPTOP WON'T CONNECT TO INTERNET

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bluefox76

Bluefox76

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hello.. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Intel Celeron 1.50 GB of RAM if it matters.. I'm running Windows XP Home edition 2002 Service Pack 3.. I got the Verizon Fios Triple Play package a few days ago. Everything seems to connect without a problem so far (although, I haven't checked the internet connection on my dvd player that streams Netflix yet) except for my laptop. I have a little experience dealing with this problem because last year my sister purchased a Belkin router and her Lenovo laptop stopped connecting to the web. After uninstalling the Belkin software and reconfiguring some windows settings, she was off and running. I don't have any special Verizon software, and although I've gone into the router settings and made a few changes (switching from WPA to WEP, removing some extra security options) nothing seems to work. Strangely enough, my router shows me that it sees the laptop. My laptop (after I manually added the IP address, default gateway, etc..) my tray icon changed from disconnected to connected, but when I click on firefox, it says Firefox can't find the server at google.com.

I spent hours on the web checking forums and it appears that this problem has occurred for hundreds of people with the same router. A lot of laptops, ipods, X-Box, etc, stopped working. What I couldn't find, was any solved cases where I could use the same troubleshooting steps to fix my issue. My router is an actiontec MI424WR REV 1. One suggestion said to update the firmware, but when I go to Verizon's site, my router isn't even pictured. I think that I have a generation 3 router, so I don't want to put the wrong update or anything. So far, I have gone into CMD and done various ipconfig things like renewing and pinging and flushing the dns. I went into the device manager and there is a question mark next to other devices- PCI Modem (which is odd, because I didn't uninstall any drivers) but I don't see how that would matter, since I'm not hooked up via modem. I'm hoping that someone here knows how to fix this, because I give up! PS.. I ran the windows diagnostics check and it said to check with my internet provider. Also, when I did a ping test, it showed all the packets sent out and none received. My laptop has NO internet security right now. My Norton 2011 expired a few weeks ago and I uninstalled it. I only have the windows firewall and I tried shutting that off to see if it made a difference, but no go.

Edited by Bluefox76, 05 October 2012 - 11:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

Can you checked the Advanced wireless settings and use WPA/WPA2 instead of WEP? If your laptop's network adapter supports WPA2/WPA, please switch to either mode. DHCP or auto IP address is better and make sure clone MAC address is disabled(depending on ISP setup). I would suggest resetting to factory default and check your manual. The DHCP enabled on LAN setup and wireless settings and your laptop's network card TCP/IPv4, DND should be used or enabled. Use the b/g/n or mixed mode and disable wireless MAC authentication. Here is your online manual.

Tekken

#3 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

I went into advanced settings and tried using wpa and wpa/psk before switching to wep and switching to that in my router settings as well. On one of the forums I read it said to disable the mac address so that was already done as well. When you say to reset to factory default, are you referring to the router or the wireless settings? I don't think I've ever seen a factory default on wireless settings, so I'm guessing you mean the router. If so, I already did that. I actually had no choice, because the password that the verizon tech set up for the router didn't work, so I couldn't sign in without resetting the router. Even now, I have to hold the reset button for 10 seconds everytime I want to log in to the router. Even though I never changed the password from admin and password. As far as the DHCP LAN laptop network card ( TCP/IPv4, DND)stuff goes, I don't know what that is or how to do any of that, so if you can walk me through the steps it would be appreciated. I only have a beginners to intermediate understanding of this kind of stuff. Most of my knowledge comes from fixing different problems. I have no idea what b/g/n or mixed mode means. As I mentioned, I already disabled the MAC stuff, to the best of my knowledge. If there's more than one setting for MAC authentication, I need someone to tell me how to get to it. I was kind of hoping that someone would give me some cmd prompts to run and ask me to post the log so they can look and see what the problem is and give me the steps to fix it.. that's usually how I have the most success in these scenarios. So please HELP!!

#4 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Just curious, did you enter the WEP key off of the router?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

What Toshiba Satellite model(T230, T130...) Please check the manual, page 20 ( 2.2 Connecting the FIOS Router - Computer Network Configurations) for Vista/Win 7 and XP.
Posted Image
You will see this once you highlight TCP/IPv4 - Properties by right clicking your wifi network card.
To access your router type http://192.168.1.1 in your URL box browser, see page 22. The factory default will most likely be admin and password is blank or just press Enter, page 23. While currently connected by wireless,
Download MiniToolBox and select all options.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#6 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Yes, all of the info I entered came from the router.. about to do the other steps listed, will get back to you.. PS, it's a Toshiba Satellite M-55-S135.

Edited by Bluefox76, 07 October 2012 - 12:25 AM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

Have you removed the expired norton product? Use the Norton Removal Tool if you haven't yet and install MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Tekken

#8 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yes, the expired Norton was removed a month ago.

I’m starting to think that I just need a new router.. for starters when I attempt to log in to the router, it won’t let me. I’ve tried logging in with the log in written on the sticker on my router, the admin password login and even your suggestion of admin and leaving password blank. Nothing works unless I hold the reset button for 10 seconds and wait for the router to reboot. After that, I can log in with admin/password, but it won’t work 2 mins later if I need to log back in. I don’t know why because I didn’t change the password. In addition, whenever I attempt to type in my log in information, it keeps adding all these extra characters.. (for example, I type pas and instead of seeing *** I see ************ and I only typed 3 letters) I don’t know if this is some type of security thing or what, but it’s really annoying and it prevents me from being able to log in without doing the reset thing.

Anyway, I checked the manual like you said, page 20 tells you: Right-click Ethernet Local Area Connection, then click Properties. In the “General” tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click Properties. Click the “Obtain an IP address automatically” radio button. Click the “Obtain DNS server address automatically”. Click OK in the “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties” screen, then click OK in the “Local Area Connection Properties” screen to save the settings.

I’m not using a local area connection, but I did it anyway. Then I scrolled a few pages down in the manual and they give you instructions for the wireless. It says: Make sure the computer uses the same ESSID and WEP key as the FiOS. Enter the ESSID and WEP key found on the sticker on the bottom of the FiOS Router in the computer’s wireless settings and click Save. Make sure to configure the computer to use 64/40-bit WEP encryption.

According to the info on the sticker on my router, I have a WPA2 key.. there is no WEP key listed. When I go into my router it says:

WEP 64-bit: N/A
WEP 802.1x:N/A
WPA2:NVS828QWPP5GV27W

When I go to the internet properties on the laptop, I can have either WEP, WPA or WPA-PSK. There is no option for WPA2. Before I posted on this forum, I tried switching to both of those options (using every configuration available- AES/TKIP, whatever that is) it still didn’t work. I went into the router and told it to switch to WEP.. when I did that a WEP code appeared, but when I typed it in, it didn’t take. That’s when I finally entered in the IP address and default info manually and it finally said connected, but it’s not receiving any packets and doesn’t connect to the web. I guess because I keep resetting the router, my preferences for WEP are no longer valid.

As for highlighting TCP/IPv4, I don’t know what you mean. Highlight it where? I know how to access my internet settings where I click the option to obtain the IP address automatically, that’s how I was able to put it in manually, but I don’t have a screen called internet protocol version 4. I go to my wireless tray icon or into control panel and select network connections and right click on wireless network connection. Under the general tab I see my network name and click properties and my TCP/IP window opens. I think this is the same window you have pictured in your last post. Do you want me to put the settings back to automatic as pictured? There is no wifi card to right click. It does say connect using: and my Atheros card is shown. There is a configure button next to it, but all that does is take me to the device properties window. There are 4 tabs (general, advanced, driver, resources) and it says the device is working properly and use this device (enable) is listed in the usage window.

Here’s the log from mini toolbox:

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 23-07-2012
Ran by Leather (administrator) on 07-10-2012 at 01:49:17
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ==============================

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.

========================= FF Proxy Settings: ==============================

"network.proxy.type", 0

"Reset FF Proxy Settings": Firefox Proxy settings were reset.

========================= Hosts content: =================================

127.0.0.1 localhost

========================= IP Configuration: ================================

Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller = Local Area Connection 3 (Media disconnected)
Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter = Wireless Network Connection 3 (Media disconnected)

# ----------------------------------
# Interface IP Configuration
# ----------------------------------
pushd interface ip

# Interface IP Configuration for "Wireless Network Connection 3"

set address name="Wireless Network Connection 3" source=static addr=192.168.1.3 mask=255.255.255.0
set address name="Wireless Network Connection 3" gateway=173.54.19.1 gwmetric=0
set dns name="Wireless Network Connection 3" source=static addr=208.67.222.222 register=PRIMARY
add dns name="Wireless Network Connection 3" addr=208.67.220.220 index=2
set wins name="Wireless Network Connection 3" source=static addr=none

# Interface IP Configuration for "Local Area Connection 3"

set address name="Local Area Connection 3" source=dhcp
set dns name="Local Area Connection 3" source=dhcp register=PRIMARY
set wins name="Local Area Connection 3" source=dhcp

popd
# End of interface IP configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-F5-77-02-51

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-8E-12-45

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%6
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Server: UnKnown
Address: 127.0.0.1

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

Ping request could not find host bleepingcomputer.com. Please check the name and try again.

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 11 f5 77 02 51 ...... Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0x3 ...00 0f b0 8e 12 45 ...... Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 3 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 2 1
Persistent Routes:
None
========================= Winsock entries =====================================

Catalog5 01 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 02 C:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dll [16896] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 03 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 04 C:\Windows\System32\nwprovau.dll [142336] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 01 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 02 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 03 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 04 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 05 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 06 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 07 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 08 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 09 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 10 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 11 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 12 C:\Windows\system32\rsvpsp.dll [92672] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 13 C:\Windows\system32\rsvpsp.dll [92672] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 14 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 15 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 16 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 17 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 18 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 19 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 20 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 21 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 22 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 23 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 24 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 25 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 26 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 27 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 28 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 29 C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (09/01/2012 09:36:49 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Fault bucket -1233131845.
The Wep key exchange did not result in a secure connection setup after 802.1x authentication. The current setting has been marked as failed and the Wireless connection will be disconnected.

Error: (09/01/2012 09:36:45 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application chrome.exe, version 20.0.1132.57, faulting module chrome.dll, version 20.0.1132.57, fault address 0x0040ba75.
Processing media-specific event for [chrome.exe!ws!]

Error: (09/01/2012 09:36:12 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (08/17/2012 03:19:59 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (User: NT AUTHORITY)NT AUTHORITY
Description: Product: Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 - Update 'Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB2687403): OUTLFLTR' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23127

Error: (08/17/2012 03:19:59 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (User: NT AUTHORITY)NT AUTHORITY
Description: Product: Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 -- Error 25090. Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office Source Engine, system error: -2147023838. Please open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM and look for "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.

Error: (08/09/2012 05:52:59 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (08/09/2012 05:52:38 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (08/09/2012 03:40:06 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (User: LAPTOP)LAPTOP
Description: Product: Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 -- Error 25090. Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office Source Engine, system error: -2147023838. Please open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM and look for "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.

Error: (07/29/2012 06:38:09 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application psp.exe, version 7.0.0.4, faulting module psp.exe, version 7.0.0.4, fault address 0x000fcc29.
Processing media-specific event for [psp.exe!ws!]

Error: (07/29/2012 06:37:42 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application psp.exe, version 7.0.0.4, faulting module psp.exe, version 7.0.0.4, fault address 0x000fcc29.
Processing media-specific event for [psp.exe!ws!]

System errors:
=============
Error: (10/07/2012 01:28:44 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1058

Error: (10/07/2012 01:28:44 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1058

Error: (10/07/2012 01:27:32 AM) (Source: W32Time) (User: )
Description: The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.
No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes.
NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Error: (10/07/2012 01:27:32 AM) (Source: W32Time) (User: )
Description: Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually
configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15
minutes.
The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Error: (10/07/2012 01:27:17 AM) (Source: W32Time) (User: )
Description: The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.
No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes.
NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Error: (10/07/2012 01:27:17 AM) (Source: W32Time) (User: )
Description: Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually
configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15
minutes.
The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Error: (10/07/2012 01:27:15 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
%%1058

Error: (10/07/2012 01:27:12 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1058

%%1058

Description: The Alerter service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1058

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (09/01/2012 09:36:49 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: -1233131845

Error: (09/01/2012 09:36:45 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: chrome.exe20.0.1132.57chrome.dll20.0.1132.570040ba75

Error: (09/01/2012 09:36:12 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: iexplore.exe8.0.6001.18702hungapp0.0.0.000000000

Error: (08/17/2012 03:19:59 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller)(User: NT AUTHORITY)NT AUTHORITY
Description: Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB2687403): OUTLFLTR1603(NULL)

Error: (08/17/2012 03:19:59 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller)(User: NT AUTHORITY)NT AUTHORITY
Description: Product: Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 -- Error 25090. Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office Source Engine, system error: -2147023838. Please open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM and look for "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)

Error: (08/09/2012 05:52:59 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: explorer.exe6.0.2900.5512hungapp0.0.0.000000000

Error: (08/09/2012 05:52:38 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: explorer.exe6.0.2900.5512hungapp0.0.0.000000000

Error: (08/09/2012 03:40:06 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller)(User: LAPTOP)LAPTOP
Description: Product: Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 -- Error 25090. Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office Source Engine, system error: -2147023838. Please open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM and look for "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)

Error: (07/29/2012 06:38:09 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: psp.exe7.0.0.4psp.exe7.0.0.4000fcc29

Error: (07/29/2012 06:37:42 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: psp.exe7.0.0.4psp.exe7.0.0.4000fcc29

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (Version: 11.4.402.265)
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin (Version: 11.4.402.278)
Adobe Reader X (10.1.4) (Version: 10.1.4)
ALPS Touch Pad Driver
Atheros Client Utility
Atheros Wireless LAN MiniPCI card Driver
Audacity 1.3.14 (Unicode)
Dropbox (Version: 1.4.8)
DVD-RAM Driver (Version: 5.0.1.1)
DVD Decrypter (Remove Only)
DVD Shrink 3.2
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile
InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2 (Version: 2.0.14.356)
InterVideo WinDVD for TOSHIBA (Version: 5.0-B11.509)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.0.7.1)
Java™ 6 Update 31 (Version: 6.0.310)
LAME v3.99.3 (for Windows)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (Version: 1.1.4322)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2656353)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2656370)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB979906)
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In (Version: 14.0.5130.5003)
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 (Version: 11.0.8173.0)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.10411.0)
Mozilla Firefox 15.0.1 (x86 en-US) (Version: 15.0.1)
Mozilla Maintenance Service (Version: 15.0.1)
Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Edition (Version: 7.0.4.0000)
Realtek AC'97 Audio
SD Secure Module (Version: 1.0.2)
Sonic RecordNow! (Version: 7.22)
Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 drivers. (Version: 1.20.0000)
TIxx21/x515 (Version: 1.20.0000)
TOSHIBA Accessibility (Version: 1.33.0.3C)
TOSHIBA Power Saver (Version: 1.33.0.6C)
TOSHIBA Software Upgrades
Toshiba Tbiosdrv Driver
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2598845) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2345886) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2467659) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2492386) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2641690) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2718704) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2736233) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB955759) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB967715) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB968389) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB971029) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB971737) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB973687) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB973815) (Version: 1)
Utility Common Driver (Version: 1.33.0.5C)
VLC media player 2.0.0 (Version: 2.0.0)
WebFldrs XP (Version: 9.50.7523)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) (Version: 1.7.0069.2)
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (Version: 20090308.140743)
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Version: 20080414.031525)
WModem Driver Installer (Version: 2.0.6.9)
YouSendIt Desktop App (Version: 1.8.0.29)

========================= Devices: ================================

Name: PCI Modem
Description: PCI Modem
Class Guid: {4D36E97E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Manufacturer:
Service:
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name: Alps Pointing-device
Description: Alps Pointing-device
Class Guid: {4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Manufacturer: Alps Electric
Service: i8042prt
Problem: : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)
Resolution: The device is installed incorrectly. The problem could be a hardware failure, or a new driver might be needed.
Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal.
After you remove the device, this error disappears.Remove the device, and this error should be resolved.

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 25%
Total physical RAM: 1526.42 MB
Available physical RAM: 1142.73 MB
Total Pagefile: 3426.09 MB
Available Pagefile: 3202.63 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1971.61 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:74.52 GB) (Free:53.67 GB) NTFS
3 Drive e: () (Removable) (Total:0.12 GB) (Free:0.12 GB) FAT

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\

Administrator ASPNET Guest
HelpAssistant Leather Slick
SUPPORT_388945a0

========================= Minidump Files ==================================

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050212-01.dmp
========================= Restore Points ==================================

29-07-2012 21:01:38 System Checkpoint
29-07-2012 21:45:24 Restore Operation
06-08-2012 03:53:40 Installed WModem_Installer
06-08-2012 04:04:05 Installed WModem_Installer
06-08-2012 04:07:59 Installed WModem_Installer
17-08-2012 18:43:37 Software Distribution Service 3.0
17-08-2012 19:18:52 Software Distribution Service 3.0
17-08-2012 20:26:20 Software Distribution Service 3.0
18-08-2012 23:24:34 Software Distribution Service 3.0
19-08-2012 17:41:52 Software Distribution Service 3.0
21-08-2012 15:54:45 Software Distribution Service 3.0
21-08-2012 15:59:28 Software Distribution Service 3.0
23-08-2012 16:53:11 Software Distribution Service 3.0
12-09-2012 20:04:43 Software Distribution Service 3.0
24-09-2012 03:35:15 Software Distribution Service 3.0
24-09-2012 20:14:25 Software Distribution Service 3.0
30-09-2012 18:50:49 FiOS Installation

**** End of log ****

Edited by Bluefox76, 07 October 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,154 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Did you connect by wired or wireless before running MinitoolBox? Can you connect by wired successfully? The auto or DHCP is the most commonly used on the router/modem settings and the network cards properties. If your wifi card can only support WPA, the router must be set to WPA(or some have WPA/WPA2 combined or mixed).

Yes, the expired Norton was removed a month ago.

It may be the router is causing the issue, but there is a chance you are infected since running without any protection software after seeing this,

it keeps adding all these extra characters.. (for example, I type pas and instead of seeing *** I see ************ and I only typed 3 letters) I donít know if this is some type of security thing or what, but itís really annoying and it prevents me from being able to log in without doing the reset thing

Tekken

#10 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

I downloaded the set up file for the toolbox on my desktop which is wired and put it on a flash drive and downloaded from the drive onto my laptop. Yes, my desktop, which is not wireless, connects without a problem. As I mentioned in my post to you last night, my laptop IP properties says I can have either WEP, WPA or WPA-PSK. There is no option for WPA2. I went into the router and told it to switch to WEP.. when I did that a WEP code appeared, but when I typed it in, it didnít take. As for the typing issue when logging into the router, that's not happening on my laptop, that's happening on my desktop. I would love to use the laptop to connect to the router, but I can't because I have NO INTERNET.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,154 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

You can still use WPA or TRY an open network or no security first just to check on the difference. See if you can connect then. When fiddling with wireless settings : Under Basic Security - Use Automatic Channel and turn off or uncheck WEP, see page 32. On Advanced Security Settings, page 34, choose WPA as Level 1(according to your manual). Enter the your desired password key(image shown on page 37) - Encryption Algorithm - AES, others default. Page 40, 802.11 mode - Use compatibility mode which is 802.11 b/g/n mode and hit Apply. Other information shown should be left as it is and or auto. Check if wireless broadcast is also enabled and MAC filtering is disabled.

Tekken

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

on the laptop is it showing the waps on your list? When you click the network connections tab on the bottom is there any networks showing? I know this may be a stupid question, but is the wireless card switched on for the laptop? A lot of times people forget to switch the wireless internet on for the laptop? Have you tried doing a physical connection on the laptop, and if so is it successful? Also do you get an ip address when you type ipconfig in an elevated command prompt? Also you may try power cycling the router. I know a lot of times that fixes a lot of issues with connections. If power cycling doesn't fix it, try doing a 30/30/30 hard reset on the router.

Edited by chrisd87, 08 October 2012 - 03:47 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#13 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi Chris,

I actually gave up on trying to fix this and called Verizon last night since no one here seemed to be able to give me any help. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not an expert in anyway on this kind of stuff and most of my knowledge comes from fixing problems via forums like this. I was hoping that someone would give me some cmd prompts to run and I'd post the log so they could see what the problem is and give me the steps to fix it.. I don't know what waps are. As I stated in my initial post, the wireless network does appear and it says connected with excellent signal. Verizon had me run through a bunch of steps that I already tried and although the router sends out packets, they are not received. Verizon tells me that I need a new router. They're sending me the same one though, so I don'expect a different result. To answer your other questions, the wireless is turned on.. that's always the 1st thing I check. I did not try to physically connect the laptop. I'm sure that would've worked though. Not sure what an elevated command prompt is, but I did all kinds of ipconfig/ everything you can think of. when I go to cmd and type ipconfig the ip info that I manually entered appears. Not sure what power cycling the router is either, but like I posted before, I reset it numerous times. I had to in order to log in. I don't know what a 30/30/30 hard reset is either. Like I said before, when this problem first happened, I googled the router and HUNDREDS of people had written in complaining about the same problem with this same router. Laptops don't connect, ipods, X-Box.. in fact, my streaming blue ray player won't connect and that's a brand new unit. Now I can't watch my Netflix. I will say to anyone out there reading this, don't go with the Verizon Triple Play package.. and if you get the same P.O.S. router, send it back immediately.

Edited by Bluefox76, 10 October 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#14 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hopefully the new router you get will work. Can you not purchase your own fiber optic router without having to use theirs? That would give you more options to choose from and more customizations. I don't know if there is any fiber optic routers that you can purchase because I haven't needed one, but if you can look around and research them to see if there is any out there for you then that would be your best bet.

Sorry we couldn't get your problem fixed, and hopefully we can help you in the future.

Thanks,
Chris

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users