Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bootmgr is missing no vista disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

This should be an easy one, just need to install a bootmgr. The issue is, I have no Vista machines that work, and no vista disk. I tried easyBCD, but it doesn't look like it will let me choose what drive to do the work on (ARGH!) so I am stuck, how, without a vista disk, so I install a boot manager?!?!?! I have been fighting and googling for hours!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,841 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

The vista bootloader files are those for Win 7 are the same.

You haven't supplied very much useful info, IMO. More background details about your situation could not hurt your cause.

Louis

#3 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

I don't know what else to provide. I received a computer, I turn it on "BOOTMGR is missing"
I am aware that the files are the same for vista and 7, but if I boot from a 7 disk and choose repair my computer, it tells me its not compatible, and to use a disk that is, namely a disk I do not have.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,841 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

You could start by telling us...

manufacturer and model of system

how you came about acquiring a system that doesn't boot properly and for which you have no means of installing/repairing

whether or not you have ever seen the system fully functional/operational and...if not, then what makes you think that it's worth the time/energy you are putting into it?

Louis

#5 suman suman

suman suman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

Hey there we can fix up your problem without using the installation media. Do not boot your computer using the Windows 7 disk, just take it out and keep it aside. Restart your computer in Safe Mode and select Repair your Computer.

1) To start your Vista PC in Safe Mode, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.
2) Select a Keyboard layout and click Next
3) If prompted, enter your username and password, click OK
4) Now click Startup Repair and follow the on-screen prompts
5) Your computer may reboot several times during the procedure, which is normal so don't worry
6) If this fixes your problem, you can start your computer normally

***If you don't see Repair your Computer option when you start your computer in Safe Mode, try the next method

1) Restart your Vista computer in Safe Mode again and open Command Prompt
2) In Command Prompt window, type ‘bootrec.exe’ (without quotes) and hit the Enter key.
3) Type ‘bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup’ and hit the Enter key.
4) Type ‘C:’ and hit the Enter key. This will take you in the C: drive.
5) Type ‘cd boot’ and hit Enter. Type ‘attrib bcd –s –h –r’ and hit the Enter key.
6) Type ‘ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old’ and hit the Enter key.
7) Type ‘bootrec /RebuildBcd’ and hit Enter. This will rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store and fix the boot manager missing error.
8) Exit the Command Prompt window and restart your computer.

P.S. Your computer will reboot several times during this procedure

P.S. please let me know if it fixes your problem or not..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users