Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home - Standby not working, shuts computer down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Recently my Standby stopped working. When I click Standby the computer shuts down. I have no clue what caused this, it happened suddenly.

I have surfed the web and read many cases where this has happened, but so far have not come across a fix or cure. It all seems very difficult to rectify, with users uninstalling Windows and reinstalling. One guy said it cured it, but others had no success. I am not prepared to go to extremes on this and am looking for a simple fix. If I cannot get a simple solution, then I will live with Standby not working and use Hibernate, which does work with no problems.

I am using Windows XP Home edition 2004 and have no other problems at all, everything else works perfect. My system is clean. I use Sandboxie, AVG 2012 PrivateFirewall and several other security programs. I also scan frequently with no infections found.

I have fiddled about with the power options until I go crazy - tried everything with no luck.

Can anybody please advise me how to get my Standby working again ?

Thank you

Edited by yabbadoo, 25 September 2012 - 04:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hello,

You've possibly already come across this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555569
  • Arrow down to TIPs.
  • To put the system into Stand by:

I copied the command into notepad, named it "Standyby.bat", saved it to my Desktop, turned off hibernation, and tested with XP Pro. It worked well.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hello,

You've possibly already come across this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555569

• Arrow down to TIPs.
  • To put the system into Stand by:

I copied the command into notepad, named it "Standyby.bat", saved it to my Desktop, turned off hibernation, and tested with XP Pro. It worked well.

Thank you for your response Arty.

Actually I have been using this method for over a year as a created Standby/Hibernate icon on my desktop and all has worked fine until now, when Standby has packed up but Hibernate still works OK.

I did try it from scratch as per the link instructions via the Run command by using CNTRL + C (copy) and CNTRL + V (paste). It seemed to work, the screen went blue and said "Preparing to Standby", then it shut down as normal. Thinking it had worked and was on Standby, I started up again only to find it had shut the computer down, so back to the drawing board.

Any comments ? Any more of this and I will go back to Stonehenge and knock a few rocks over.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP From M/soft -

Another M/soft "solution" that may help you -

Thank You -

- Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium Toshiba Laptop - Avant and user of Internet Explorer Browsers  - And I Use GOOGLE-

~ Remember to Press F5 as you may already have an answer waiting for you ..... If not .....The answer is always 42, or Reboot ~

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

yabbadoo,

Just out of curiousity, what happens when you turn off hibernation (via power options) and then run your old "Standby" script? The link I posted said that hibernation would have to be off for the standby command to work.

I know that you will say that they were both working before, so why not now? I don't know.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

yabbadoo,

Just out of curiousity, what happens when you turn off hibernation (via power options) and then run your old "Standby" script? The link I posted said that hibernation would have to be off for the standby command to work.

I know that you will say that they were both working before, so why not now? I don't know.

If I use the Start>Windows panel standard method and choose Hibernate, it works fine. If I select the Standby option, it shuts down my computer. This Windows method does not need any power options manipulation as you know.

I normally use a personal desktop icon for Standby/Hibernate. To operate this, the Hibernation must be disabled as per Power Options/Hibernate, then clicking the icon should go into Standby - it does not, it shuts down same as the standard method.

If I enable the Hibernate in Power Options, then the icon works fine - it Hibernates.

It is only Standby that is playing Possum.

Both of these methods have been working fine for a very long time until recently.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm scratching my head. :scratchhead:

Regards,
Brooks

#8 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

I'm scratching my head. :scratchhead:

Arty,

I `aint got anything left to scratch, I`ve scratched the lot. But you `aint seen nuttin yet -

Standby suddenly started working perfectly , but after a while it stopped again and resumed a shut down action. This alone can only mean that the problem is a "funny" and not something serious. A serious problem would not do this. What it is though, I have no clue as yet. Hibernate - no problem.

Edited by yabbadoo, 28 September 2012 - 05:34 AM.

#9 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

SOLVED

To all the kind members who have responded to my post.

Silly really, but here it is. As explained in my OP, the Standby suddenly stopped working whilst Hibernate still functioned OK.

I have only just received my computer back from repair, having had a new power unit fitted and a clean out. BUT, at the same time asked for the memory to be increased. I had been getting lots of "Not Responding" and memory low alerts, plus the computer was slow - taking minutes to respond and awful from Hibernate or Start, I grew older waiting.

I previously only had 447 MB of RAM, I now have 960 MB of RAM and 2.71 GHz - approx. double the memory capacity.

This memory increase solved my Standby problem immediately, it now works perfectly. What happened, was that my memory usage had crept up to a level exceeding my capacity and Standby could not function. When selecting Standby, the computer could not comply through lack of memory and simply shut down.

Very briefly, Standby stores the data in RAM whilst Hibernate saves the data in a specially created file - hiberfil.sys and is stored on the hard disk. Hence stored data was > RAM and Standby failed, the computer shut down.

All is now working superb and the Start-up, Standby and Hibernate times are now very rapid.
Much faster on web selections also. So far no "Not Responding" signs. Delighted.

Thank you all again.
Yabbadoo

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thank you for taking the time to update us.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users