Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't recognize audio output.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dartimus

Dartimus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

I am using an m8400f HP desktop. I have a set of Logitech speakers/sub and am using a TV/Monitor with built-in speakers.

My computer will occasionally register one or the other of the audio outputs, either the speakers or the monitor, but it is intermittent and unpredictable. In fact today the monitor played sound, but the speakers wouldn't, and in the process of getting the speakers to work, now neither will play. I do not often use headphones, but I tried those today to no avail.

Today I also went to RealTek's site and downloaded what I believe was a driver update for my soundcard, but I'm not 100% positive I have a RealTek card, the name just sounded familiar. I am unable to locate any setting in my Hardware Manager that will let me manipulate my sound card/drivers, it is though my computer isn't aware of any such cards. My little speaker icon in the taskbar shows a red X, not the mute kind, across it; when I open it to playback devices it currently shows nothing, although earlier it showed my monitor, speakers, and sound card. Like I said, it performs very intermittently, and I have not been able to figure out the cause.

I have searched through other forums, and have tried most everything short of opening my computer to look at my sound card. I do not know if it is integrated or may have a bad connection or what.

I would appreciate any insight.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Tried already checking the HP Troubleshooting link? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01289551&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en

Tekken

#3 Dartimus

Dartimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

I looked over the troubleshooting, but none of the symptoms seemed to match the on-again off-again nature I'm dealing with. I checked inside my tower today, as far as I can tell the sound "card" is integrated to the motherboard. All I can see are the ports for the speakers.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,709 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Most likely a port or cable is faulty if reinstalling the driver did not fix the problem.

Edited by jhayz, 06 September 2012 - 07:27 AM.

Tekken

#5 Dartimus

Dartimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

But would that account for why my PC won't even recognize any sound driver? And like I say, I'm using a TV monitor connected with an HDMI cable, plus my speakers; I would imagine with the redundancy in sound options, as long as my driver works, surely not both of the cables/ports are damaged?

I recently took advantage of my sound working to identify and update my driver; seemed to be the fix, but I booted up yesterday to no audio.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,709 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

I'm using a TV monitor connected with an HDMI cable

Is the video card for the desktop the GE Force 8500? The S/PDIF located for the card might be the missing link.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=ca&dlc=en&docname=c01695377&lc=en&product=3686665#home_stereo

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users