Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonni67

jonni67

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

Hi folks, I have a question that I wonder if someone can either sovle or advise on ti for me. I have just looked in my 'sent items' folder in O/E, and I see that nothing has been sent to this folder since 26/07/2011. Amazing that I have noticed it before!! Can aonone help please?? Regards jonni67.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ukbobboy

ukbobboy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hi jonni67

I too use Outlook Express simply because it provides all the I currently need in an email application.

That said, I have a problem with your question, you said:

I see that nothing has been sent to this folder since 26/07/2011

Now, the way O/E works is that when you send emails they appear in the SENT folder and anything you receive goes into the INBOX.

So if you have not sent any emails since July 2011 then nothing will appear.

If, however, you are saying that the emails you send no longer appear in your SENT folder then I suggest that you get a registry cleaner, something like "Norton Utilities V15" (you can get 30 days free trial), and sort out your Operating System.

Let me know if this helps or if I have misinterpreted your question.

UK Bob

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 8,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

THERE IS NO NEED TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE REGISTRY. (more on that below)

Let's start with the OBVIOUS, which is OE settings, first.

Check to make sure you have Outlook Express set up to save a copy of mail you send to Sent Items.

Open up Outlook Express.

Click Tools/Options/Send tab.

If Save copy of sent messages in the Sent Items folder is not checked, check it.

Click Apply, then OK.

If, however, you are saying that the emails you send no longer appear in your SENT folder then I suggest that you get a registry cleaner, something like "Norton Utilities V15" (you can get 30 days free trial), and sort out your Operating System.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 August 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

I've used Outlook Express for many years and anything I send goes into the Sent Items folder.

Click on Tools\Options and click on the Send tab. It says at the top Save copy of sent messages in the 'Sent Items' folder make sure it ticked.

All the email files are saved as *.dbx files if you have different folders each folder will have its own filename, so search the drive. You can set it up in Options - Maintenance tab and click the Store Folder button to thire location or change the location to save all these files somewhere else. Then you can easily zip that folder and save them to a flash drive as a backup.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users