Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Metropolitan Police Virus - Can't get into safe mode!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AcidicTastebuds

AcidicTastebuds

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

Hi everyone, thank you for reading this. My home computer got the Metropolitan Police virus, where the entire screen is taken over by a screen like this: http://trojan-killer.net/metropolitan-police-virus-warning-remove/metropolitan_police_fake_warning/

My first step is to go into Safe mode, but whenever I do, the computer begins loading the drivers (as usual) until it prompts me to press enter to continue loading "SPTD.sys". Whether I press enter or not, the windows error bluescreen comes up stating:

"A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart yoour computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7BA5528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I'm not very technical, so with previous viruses, I have literally followed everything a tutorial has given me, so I have no idea how to get around this.

Could someone help? I'll post more info if needed! Thank you!

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2012 - 07:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 53,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hi, do you happen to have an XP CD at hand?
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

#3 mooblie

mooblie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

I appreciate this thread is (i) one month old, and (ii) someone else's thread, but the OP seems to have gone away, and I have EXACTLY the same symptoms.

i.e. Metropolitan Police Virus, which seems to have stopped me from going into Safe Mode - I get a BSOD with the same message given in the original post.

I don't have an XP CD, but I do have Hiren's Boot CD - which works.
Managed to run >chkdsk c: /f from Hirens.
That came up clear, which makes me feel the BSOD message about bad disk hardware is bogus.

Any suggestions?

Edited by mooblie, 26 September 2012 - 10:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users