Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Employee Monitoring

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hello everybody!

I have a client who owns a small business with 4 locations and about 50 computer systems. The owner of the company is looking for software to remotely monitor his employee actions. From my understanding he is primarily wanting to be able to dial in to a remote machine and see what an employee is doing without the employee knowing that somebody is watching.

My first thought was to use teamviewer but it is unsuitable to use since it does not have a stealth mode. As soon as someone joins a session the person on the receiving end knows about it.

Anther company I was looking at was Refrog. They seem to have software that will do exactly what my client is looking for.
Refrog Employee Monitoring Software

I was hoping that some other BC members might have some suggestions from personal experience as to what other software options might be available to me.

Thanks everybody!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

I don't think that it is too strange for an employer to have the ability to see if his/her employees are actually working or if they are playing on facebook. I dont see it as being much different than having security cameras in a business. You never know if somebody is watching or not.

I'm not looking for something that is completely stealth but rather a dual purpose program... something to dial in and see whats on the screen and be able to remotely control to resolve issues.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Have you tried Tight VNC(vnc server+java viewer)?

We have successfully used it in past to monitor employees.

Edited by narenxp, 17 August 2012 - 07:29 AM.

#4 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Have you tried Tight VNC(vnc server+java viewer)?

We have successfully used it in past to monitor employees.

I'll check that out. Thanks

#5 jaybeejay

jaybeejay

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

The one we are currently using for monitoring our employees is Time Doctor.

You might want to check it out and see if that setup works for you. We've tested a lot in the past and ended up using this. It's the best for productivity since it's non-invasive and handles the monitoring efficiently.

#6 ANiceWaffle

ANiceWaffle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

LogMeIn is always a good solution!

#7 norwood781

norwood781

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Build a Squid box out of some old junker and use DansGuardian in conjunction. Not as intrusive as LogMeIn or TightVNC (they can see when you're looking). Both are projects under the GPL, so there's no cost you'll need to bring to management.

Dansguardian will give you a list of all websites visited by all employees

The only downfall that comes with Squid proxy (as of my last using) was that it adds an additional login prompt. But my management's feeling about that was "tough for them".

It's amazing how many people aren't working...and it's amazing the amount of inappropriate websites they go to.

And I was amazed at how happy I made management. :)

Edited by norwood781, 22 October 2012 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users