Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Colors In A Childs Crayola Box

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#16 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thank you bleepinggirl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

"I see we are censoring history now."

"DRAT...the thought police/political correctness, strikes yet again... I'm so offended."

This site has been automatically censoring those words when posted in the forums since it was created. Curse words are not allowed on the site. End of story.

To say that you cannot have thoughtful debate without using certain words is a load of bleep (see I censored myself).

I am sorry, but if this is not something that you agree with then maybe this forum is not the right one for you.

#18 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

The word I used was not "a curse word"

#19 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

The forum software also filters words according to the forum rules about ethnically based insensitive words. As per the forum rules quote below.

"There will be no racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations."

It may not have been a curse word per se. But it was not in accordance to the forum rules. Therefore the filter built into the software removed it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#20 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

I know what word was being converted and regardless of how it was used in the past, today it is considered a racial slur and not one I want on this forum. You could have easily have written it a different way so that it would not offend others.

#21 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I managed to figure out the word. You are correct it would not be acceptable today.

#22 82_bleepingirl

82_bleepingirl

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I didn't know, I had to ask...Personally, that word 'was' the most offensive one could utter with the exception of the F word. They themselves use it so much now, one has to wonder if they even know each others names.. I find that totally uncalled for..If you don't want to be called a certain name..then don't use it yourself..period.

In all fairness..I don't think georgehenry meant to insult.. he was just giving an example of how things have changed..

Edited by 82_bleepingirl, 05 February 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#23 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I do not think he meant any insult either. You both expressed concern about being censored, while in reality it's a built in badword filter for the site that has been around since the site started. This will not be changed because regardless of who uses it with who, I don't want that language on the site.

Edited by Grinler, 06 February 2013 - 08:11 AM.
Grammatical errors

#24 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

To Bleepinggirl,
I was unable to reply to your private message as the email was refused. I just wished to acknowledge it, and say thanks.
georgehenry

#25 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Last night i was lookin over the forums when i realized that GRINDLER himself had posted to this thread!! I had never seen Grindler post in this section before, I got 9 kinds "o" excited!! I couldn't wait to see what He had to say....

Imagine my surprise when I saw this thread had become about censorship.....BUMMER.....

bleepinggirl82 and georgehenry,as was said previously said, there are ways to say things, that won't be taken as an insult to other members here...
I'm going to give you an example of what i'm takin about, BUT before i do , I'm gonna preface it with this....

this thread got closed and rightfully so......I had lost my temper and instead of using my tried and true method of dealin with things like this by sitting on my hands and biting my desk..LOL I posted anyway....the only person that could have possibly tasken offense to my words, was the member that it was directed at...I make no excuses..I was outta line ans got my just desserts for it..
this isn't about censorship, this is about taking the time to think about what you are about to say, and then say it as best as you can without being rude or insulting to anybody else..To do otherwise is to start an arguement, NOT have a thoughtful discussion.

That's it! the gloves are commin off....there is a limit to my patience...
and you just crossed it!
you have got to be kidding me!
JUst exactly who do you think you are to tell me or anybody for that matter what I can or can't say??
and if you think for a hot mississippi minute that people don't alread y know about "organized Religon's" Dirty laundry, then you missed that mark by a mile!
I really can't see where you've contributed anything of a positive nature to this discussion, the split second that anybody dares to disagrees with you, you start callin them names and judgeing their character,
you said that i'm makin it harder for you...no Ma'm!! you doing fine all by yourself!
so far you've called me a liar,said that i'm a whimpy Lil people pleaser,that my main concern is to be a "groupie" for what you call THE GOD HATERS,you've got alot of nerve...your all hat and no cattle!!
this ain't my first rodeo, and you ain't nothin new...I've dealt with the likes of you before.... no , your nothin new.
stop playin the marytr, and get down off the cross, somebody else needs the wood!
your the exact type of person that i ran from screaming all those years ago...I don't run anymore..so fasten your seatbelt darlin, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!
I'm not leaving this forum,nor am i gonna stop expressing my opinion...so stick that in your hat and chomp on it!

RESPECTFULLY

MissPLaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#26 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Bravo

#27 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

georgehenry...

BRAVO??? I don't understand, care to explain this to me???

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#28 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

A cheer for your declaration of independence.

#29 82_bleepingirl

82_bleepingirl

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm lost ...that's for sure. I have not a clue what all that was about... Did I miss something?? lol

#30 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,421 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Because this topic has gone so off topic, it appears to have run its course. I am therefore closing this topic.

Orange Blossom ~ forum moderator.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users