Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keypad Quit Working

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jimzhr

Jimzhr

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

I have an HP Pavilion dv-6 2155dx laptop. Windows 7. It's worked fine until recently. The number keypad has stopped working. The ON/OFF bell seems to work ok but the keypad does not work correctly. It does "strange" things now. Some keys do "something" and others do not as follows:

/ types a slash
* types an asterisk
- types a minus sign
+ types a plus sign
ENTER seems to be ok
7, 8, 9, 4, 6, 1, 2, 3, DEL do nothing
5 UNhighlights anything highlighted in a browser search bar. If nothing is highlighted then 5 does one of several things: brings up PAGE NAVIGATION option, moves flashing cursor one space to left OR causes flashing cursor to disappear altogether.
0 seems to now and then cause the flashing cursor to disappear. Briefly, the function keys seem to work but the number keys do not. YES, I know how to turn the NUM LOCK on and off. YES, I have rebooted many times to no avail.

I use a Logitech wireless keyboard with my laptop and the keypad problem is exactly the same on both the wireless keypad and the laptop keypad.

This has got to be something easy that I probably accidentally screwed up. I have searched online for a solution to no avail. I have tried to go into BIOS but directions I found did not get me to menus described to me. People have told me that I can turn the keypad ON and OFF from the BIOS but I see no such option in my BIOS. Hopefully someone can set me straight. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Have you tried checking your device manager for both laptop keyboard and wireless keyboard? Uninstall wireless from the device manager then check on the difference.

Tekken

#3 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Wireless keyboard disconnected. Problem still exists with laptop.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi -
Please Note - In no way am I saying that you are at fault,
From your description the Num Lock key is either stuck or faulty -
I can reproduce almost the exact same results with Num Lock key OFF as follows >> // ** - - + +(no numbers) - On produces >> // ** - - + + 1234567890
When Off 1 does nothing 2 becomes a Down move 3 Jumps to end of text 4 becomes a Back space 5 is nothing 6 is Forward 7 Takes to start of line
8 Sends up 1 line 9 Takes to Start of text and 0 seems to do nothing -

With Num Lock is there a Light that is seen above the keys or not?

I can only say to replace the batteries in the wireless keyboard (they last 2 to 3 years) and clean / alter the receptor for the USB plug -
And now a few minor items have changed on my keyboard since doing those tests !!!

Regards -

Thank You -

- Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium Toshiba Laptop - Avant and user of Internet Explorer Browsers  - And I Use GOOGLE-

~ Remember to Press F5 as you may already have an answer waiting for you ..... If not .....The answer is always 42, or Reboot ~

#5 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

No offense taken. The batteries in the wireless keyboard are new. There is no light for the NUM LOCK...just a bell with different sounds for ON and OFF. It seems that if the problem is a stuck NUM LOCK key then the keys must be stuck on BOTH the laptop and the wireless board. And what are the odds of that happening at the same time?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Uninstall wireless from the device manager

Did you removed from DM?

Tekken

#7 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hi Jim -
Still no response from the HP Forum site yet, so you "might" be able to add that, I did find this >>
You can use the Windows integrated on-screen keyboard to turn the number lock on and off.
Read more: How to Turn off the Number Lock on an HP Laptop | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/how_6759604_turn-number-lock-hp-laptop.html#ixzz22pJwuWpK

Good luck with this one -

Thank You -

- Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium Toshiba Laptop - Avant and user of Internet Explorer Browsers  - And I Use GOOGLE-

~ Remember to Press F5 as you may already have an answer waiting for you ..... If not .....The answer is always 42, or Reboot ~

#8 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks. My laptop DOES have a number pad. I'm familiar with, and have used, the on screen keyboard and number pad but I don't care to use my mouse so prefer the pad on my laptop and wireless keyboard. I have uninstalled the wireless unit in Device Manager. Reinstalled, checked that software is up to date, restarted, etc.etc etc.....Still no go. ARe you suggesting that I uninstall a laptop keyboard? If so, besides the Logitech wireless keyboard, Device Manager shows the following which must all be for the laptop:

MICROSOFT EHOME MCIR 109 KEYBOARD
MICROSOFT EHOME MCIR KEYBOARD
MICROSOFT EHOME REMOTE CONTROL KEYBOARD KEYS
STANDARD 101/102-KEY OR MICROSOFT NATURAL PS/2 KEYBOARD WITH HP QLB

What are they AND what do I uninstall? And if I do uninstall something else, how do I get it back later? When I uninstalled the wireless, it disappeared and only returned when I plugged it back in. I I uninstall one of these I wouldn't know where to go or how to get it back.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

ARe you suggesting that I uninstall a laptop keyboard? << NO - I am only asking you to read the entire page and the links there for the Num Lock details (total of 10 to 20 minutes)
Please fully read the page that I linked you to -

On there it shows how to turn your Num Lock ON or how to turn it OFF via the onscreen method, since your methods are not working at this time.

It also has side links on how to check if your Num Lock is, or is not, ON - Your description shows that your Num Lock is OFF at this time, regardless of what you think -
For this reason I have left a page that shows how to only diagnose if it is ON or OFF - This is Not to Uninstall any laptop keyboard -

Please read, and at least try some of the ideas there without just saying ""I don't want it ""
The Logitech wireless keyboard is a side issue and must first be removed.
I have uninstalled the wireless unit in Device Manager. Reinstalled,<< The Logitech must stay uninstalled as it is not the problem, your computer settings are.......

Only then can you diagnose the actual Computer problem .....then return the other keyboard ---

Edited by noknojon, 07 August 2012 - 03:25 AM.

Thank You -

#10 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Wireless keyboard uninstalled and outta the room. I read all the links on the page you provided. I went into regedit and followed the following instructions (pasted) :

[i][b] Type "regedit" without the quotation marks, then press "Enter."

Click the "+" symbol next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then select the "+" symbol next to "Control Panel."

Click on "Keyboard."

Double-click "IntitialKeyboardIndicators."

Enter "0" (the number zero) in the "Value Data" field to disable the num lock after logon, or enter "1" (the number one) to disable the num lock entirely.

Click "OK," then close the registry by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner of the registry window.

Restart your computer. To re-enable num lock, follow the same process, but change the "Value Data" to "2."

I restarted after each change in registry using "0" , "1" and finally "2" where I left it for now. There was never any change in the keypad, the use of the NUMLOCK button. Everything is the same.

Not sure what to do next.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for trying that idea, as now I know that I need to look for another idea -

As long as your NUM LOCK key was highlighted by the onscreen test while the pointer is away it is most definitely in the ON position
I also used the test on both of my own systems (XP and Windows7) so that I was sure that it did show correctly

Since this seems to be more of a HP related problem, I may try to find one of their more senior techs to explain it to -

Regards -

Thank You -

#12 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

My on screen keyboard may be different than yours or the one mentioned in the "On-Screen Method" of your link. My on screen keyboard has a NUMLock button in the lower right corner. When it shows white(all other keys are black with white characters) the numbers are visible on the pad. When I then click NUMLock the numbers disappear and are replaced by arrow keys, HOME, PgUp, End, etc. The button is now black as are all others. In this position, with the key black and numbers gone, I can point the mouse pointer at the button and it will turn GRAY. When I move the pointer away from the button, the button returns to black. When the numbers are visible and the NUMLock key is white, pointing the mouse pointer at the button does not change the color or "highlight" the button. This on screen keyboard and keypad work fine on both keyboards.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,815 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

When it shows white(all other keys are black with white characters) the numbers are visible on the pad.

You have the right idea there as to it being White -
That is what we want it to stay like, and I meant Highlighted as just being another color than the other keys - Sorry if I did not explain it that way.
The Highlight just meant "not the same as the other keys" - Sorry if I described it a bit wrong.

My Win7 also has another key not yet mentined - HELP - This brings up a back menu and some more help items

Thank You -

#14 Jimzhr

Jimzhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Glad we're on the same page. And thanks again for hanging in here with me! I also have a HELP button on my On Screen Keyboard. So are we waiting for more ideas from an HP "senior tech" ?

#15 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,815 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hi -
I have requested an answer from them (another HP source), away from where you posted on their forum area.
There has been no reply as yet ..... Seems like nobody wants to talk to me or you about your problem ???

I will re-ask again just to push a bit -

Regards -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users