Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

These Facebook loading issues...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KobeBryant24

KobeBryant24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

I was having trouble for a few weeks, trying to get Facebook to load correctly on my new computer (running Win7, using all browsers). Most of the time, I wouldn't be able to load Facebook, and it only seemed to be an issue with that particular site, no other.

I ended up scanning my computer with Malwarebytes, looked over a HijackThis! log, used ComboFix, etc...and still, nothing.

EDIT: Don't run ComboFix unless instructed by a computer technician, and deleting items using HijackThis! can also make your computer unstable.

Well, finally, I moved on from that and looked at the network card, and I decided to uninstall the driver and download the latest version. To my surprise, it actually worked.

I noticed this issue was brought up here (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic461586.html) and many other places, both on this site AND using a Google search, so I think it would be of great help to mention that a driver update for your network card may do the trick. My card is listed as Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, and a quick download is available at their site (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false). Using the Update Driver option (through Windows) does not work, as it continues to read your 2011 driver as the most current.

Once you do this, you can open up a command prompt window and flush your DNS, reset TCP IP stacks and WINSOCK entries by using the following commands:
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset catalog

I hope this is valuable information to anyone running into this issue. I know this has been a thorn in my side for a few weeks now, and I couldn't figure out why Facebook wasn't loading correctly. I'm assuming there are other sites that were troublesome, but it was those that I never visit, and it only makes sense that most headbutting this issue would have Facebook in common, since a vast majority of us use it.

Edited by KobeBryant24, 06 August 2012 - 12:43 AM.
Moved from web Browsing/Email to Tips/Tricks - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 65,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hello KobeBryant24
Glad to hear you worked it out and thanks for contributing.

I just to Comment on two things for the next user.
This issue is commonly an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or as above A Winsock corruption.
But it is not a malware issue. So,it is unwise to run ComboFix. It is not intended to be run as a cure all and is dangerous in unsupervised hands.

Please mote Combofix's disclaimer ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use.

Similarly deleting the wrong item in a HiJackThis log can also make your PC unbootable.
So I would recommend others to not run these 2 tools on their own and create a topic to get assisted help.

BleepingComputer is being sued by the creators of SpyHunter. Help us defend our right of Free Speech!

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 15,133 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

To reiterate what Boopme said

Combofix is not meant to "fix" general computer problems.

ComboFix is a program, created by sUBs, that scans your computer for known malware, and when found, attempts to clean these infections automatically.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Publisher's Description
From sUBs:
Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them.

http://download.cnet.com/Combofix/3000-8022_4-75221073.html

#4 KobeBryant24

KobeBryant24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Sorry about that, guys. I edited the post, to warn users about ComboFix and HijackThis. I'm a 12-year computer technician, so it wasn't a problem for me (I suspected a few things I won't bother talking about, since these were not the issue), but I definitely see where a lot of the users would make a mistake by using these two programs.

#5 IAmNotABot

IAmNotABot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Awesome advice on the commands.  I have a bad habit of only doing a release/renew cycle.  Thanks much !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users