Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

These Facebook loading issues...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KobeBryant24

KobeBryant24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

I was having trouble for a few weeks, trying to get Facebook to load correctly on my new computer (running Win7, using all browsers). Most of the time, I wouldn't be able to load Facebook, and it only seemed to be an issue with that particular site, no other.

I ended up scanning my computer with Malwarebytes, looked over a HijackThis! log, used ComboFix, etc...and still, nothing.

EDIT: Don't run ComboFix unless instructed by a computer technician, and deleting items using HijackThis! can also make your computer unstable.

Well, finally, I moved on from that and looked at the network card, and I decided to uninstall the driver and download the latest version. To my surprise, it actually worked.

I noticed this issue was brought up here (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic461586.html) and many other places, both on this site AND using a Google search, so I think it would be of great help to mention that a driver update for your network card may do the trick. My card is listed as Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, and a quick download is available at their site (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false). Using the Update Driver option (through Windows) does not work, as it continues to read your 2011 driver as the most current.

Once you do this, you can open up a command prompt window and flush your DNS, reset TCP IP stacks and WINSOCK entries by using the following commands:
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset catalog

I hope this is valuable information to anyone running into this issue. I know this has been a thorn in my side for a few weeks now, and I couldn't figure out why Facebook wasn't loading correctly. I'm assuming there are other sites that were troublesome, but it was those that I never visit, and it only makes sense that most headbutting this issue would have Facebook in common, since a vast majority of us use it.

Edited by KobeBryant24, 06 August 2012 - 12:43 AM.
Moved from web Browsing/Email to Tips/Tricks - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hello KobeBryant24
Glad to hear you worked it out and thanks for contributing.

I just to Comment on two things for the next user.
This issue is commonly an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or as above A Winsock corruption.
But it is not a malware issue. So,it is unwise to run ComboFix. It is not intended to be run as a cure all and is dangerous in unsupervised hands.

Please mote Combofix's disclaimer ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use.

Similarly deleting the wrong item in a HiJackThis log can also make your PC unbootable.
So I would recommend others to not run these 2 tools on their own and create a topic to get assisted help.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

To reiterate what Boopme said

Combofix is not meant to "fix" general computer problems.

ComboFix is a program, created by sUBs, that scans your computer for known malware, and when found, attempts to clean these infections automatically.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Publisher's Description
From sUBs:
Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them.

http://download.cnet.com/Combofix/3000-8022_4-75221073.html

#4 KobeBryant24

KobeBryant24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Sorry about that, guys. I edited the post, to warn users about ComboFix and HijackThis. I'm a 12-year computer technician, so it wasn't a problem for me (I suspected a few things I won't bother talking about, since these were not the issue), but I definitely see where a lot of the users would make a mistake by using these two programs.

#5 IAmNotABot

IAmNotABot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Awesome advice on the commands.  I have a bad habit of only doing a release/renew cycle.  Thanks much !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users