Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double-clicking not working on icons or folders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 SM3

SM3

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hello all,

I hope this is in the right area.

I've been working on my grandfather's computer for a day or so now, trying to figure this problem out.
My sister's friends downloaded all sorts of games from obviously not very good sites. I don't live here, so I'm not sure exactly what she did, but it messed up the computer pretty good!

I've had several problems with it (some I've solved), but the biggest that NOTHING has seemed to fix is that the desktop icons will not open when double-clicked. Neither will the folders in Windows Explorer. I can right click on all of them, and they give me the option to "Open" and then they open just fine. (Last night, I could double click on My Documents, My Computer, and the Recycle bin and they would open (from the desktop), but now NONE of them work.)

I have looked for help all over, have tried several different things (including using this for .exe and short-cut behaviors: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm)
I ran Malwarebytes, three times now (the first time it picked up 108 items, the second them ~53, and the third time I ran it in Safe Mode and it picked up none.) I also ran SuperAntiSpyware in Safe Mode and it picked up on and got rid of 2 things.
I cannot do a system restore, as I've tried several times and none of the points want to work.
And I've also followed a few guides going through the CMD and regedit, to no avail.
I tried a different mouse, and that one didn't work either. However, both mice can double-click and open the files in Safe Mode.

(Aside from this, Internet Explorer will open and then instantly close. I've also tried a dozen different things to fix this, but with no success. But I suppose that's for a different thread.)

If anyone wants information on what was happening directly after my sister's friend added everything, I can try to explain in the best detail possible, though I was only here for a little bit of it and am not sure I 100% know everything.

Sorry for such a long post! I just wanted to try to put as much information out there as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Members
  • 2,595 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Download the windows repair tool and run it with all boxes checked just be sure and make a restore point prior to running it.
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=7141&file=9&evp=18a37c9c3804bd022748a38eb328614e

Reboot after running.
What happens when you press Alt + F4 at the same time?

#3 SM3

SM3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

I will try this, thank you.
On the System File Check, it told me that Windows may require that I insert the Windows CD later. I do not have the CD as far as I know. Can I skip this step, and will starting the repair require the CD?

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

System is infected and that may be the possible cause

Read the guide here on preparing logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Good luck

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Members
  • 2,595 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

You can skip the sfc /scannow and if the repair tool does not work then follow the instructions of naren xp
What happens when you press Alt + F4 at the same time?

#6 SM3

SM3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

I ran it, and it did not help the double-clicking problem, however, it did fix Internet Explorer (which was a huge concern for my grandfather), so thank you SO much!
Now I will try what narenxp said and hope I can get this sorted out.
Again, thank you so much!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,785 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Reference: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic463204.html/page__p__2786967#entry2786967

Now that you have properly posted a malware log topic, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on, the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users