Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Error 0x0000007E on Windows XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 greenking13

greenking13

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Okay, first things first, I have already taken this problem to a different section of this forum and they said to bring it here, so here is a link to that one to help out a bit.
Mentioned Topic

Alright, now my laptop is a Dell Latitude D610, is running the Windows XP and is at least 3-4 years old(to me).
The problems that I have noticed is that a few weeks ago a blue screen popped up saying that it had to immediantly stop to prevent an error so I rebooted to see if that would fix it and it popped up yet again. Here is the message it pops up at the bottom.
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80537041, 0xF79AA434, 0xF79AA130)
So far I can tell that it will not allow me into either normal boot mode nor will it allow me into Safe Mode w/ Netowrking, and that sometimes my mouse moves without me touching it(into a single direction, not all crazy or anything).
I have already tryed memtest 86 and it came up clean, tried to use my norton anti-virus and got similar results.
Now when it occurred I was trying to fix a problem with my browser(with a app(or program?) by norton. I began to run it and it went to reboot and then the BSOD popped up.
So far I have used an app by jcgriff2 to collect info about my computer and mini tool box to list all installed programs. You can find the results in the topic mentioned above.
If any info more info is needed I will try and get it(and sorry if this is a bit lowsy, my skills with computers isn't that great.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi greenking13 ,

My name is Debbie.

The 0x0000007e error is a kind of 'blue screen' error, which typically restarts your machine randomly, and it will eventually offer you a message and also details on the famed blue screen of death.

The causes of the 0x0000007e error usually are various. Although the key causes are usually the wrongly downloaded programs, viruses, obsolete drivers, BIOS issues and registry issues.

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

Method 1

1. Restart your computer in safe mode.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer

Now check that this error has been fixed

Method 2

To work around this issue, run the recovery console by using the Windows XP CD. Then, select the recovery option. To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disk or from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in the floppy disk drive. Or, insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive. Then, restart the computer.

Note If you are prompted, click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot computer or a multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the administrator password.

Note Press ENTER if the administrator password is blank.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Disable intelppm
6. To exit the Recovery Console and to restart the computer, type exit at the Recovery Console command prompt, and then press ENTER

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:21 PM.
Removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#3 greenking13

greenking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Okay I will try the first method, but sadly I do not have that disc which method two requires.
I will post in 2-3 days to tell you if the first method worked.

#4 greenking13

greenking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Sadly no change. oh and also the 4 numbers after the 7E BSOD changed.
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80537041, 0xF79AA434, 0xF79AA130)

Hmm, where could you get that disc?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hello can you download these from another PC and copy them to a Flash Drive or CD and run them?

Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.
  • Run TDSSKiller.exe.
  • Click on Change Parameters
  • Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system
  • Click Start scan.
  • When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
    The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
    The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click Continue
  • Let reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.
  • Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log has a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Posted Image and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A: 4. Issues.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, go to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder > Tools > click on Malwarebytes Chameleon and follow the onscreen instructions. The Chameleon folder can be accessed by opening the program folder for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (normally C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware).
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#6 greenking13

greenking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Uhhh, wow thanks, I will try that as soon as possible.
Now when you say reboot normally, do you mean not into a safe mode(because that's all I can get into atm.)
And alright, time to transfer this all to my flash drive.

Also any other info I might need to know about the two programs?

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Normally means normal mode. I am hoping you can after the first scans. If not then run it in safe mode.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#8 greenking13

greenking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks man, my computers running a whole lot better, now only if you could figure out how to get TuneUp Utilities off my computer and figure out why my mouse moves(on screen) in a single direction sometimes, you'd be a dang god!(Or if you could find a way to make cheap internet, lol.)
Oh and also those files that you needed are here.

MBam-Log
TDSSKiller 2 (Now notice this one didn't finish but I saw that TDSS before my computer turned off(Naturally, my computer has a battery problem.).)
TDSSKiller (Complete) (This one finished, but I didn't see that TDSS again.

Still, thanks.

Edited by greenking13, 06 August 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Ok, thats good and you're welcome.

Reboot again.

Use Revo Uninstaller: to get TuneUp Utilities off .

Revo Uninstaller is more thorough in deleting programs on your computer than using the Add/Remove option in Windows. Since it is a more powerful tool, please be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
  • Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free
  • Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
  • From the list of programs double click on the listed program to remove it
  • When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.
  • Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
  • The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
  • When the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next
  • Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.
  • Check the items in bold only on the list then click Delete. You may have to expand some folders by clicking the "+" mark.
  • When prompted click on Yes and then on Next.
  • Put a check on any folders that are found and select Delete
  • When prompted select Yes then Next
  • Once done click Finish.

You may need to unand reinstall the mouse software,but first in case there is still a malware in the way...

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

#10 greenking13

greenking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Okay on the first thing, do I go into the folders and check those, not the folders themselves(if they are bolded?)

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

After you've double clicked on the listed program to remove it and go yes ,next.....

and it is done looking for leftovers

then Check the items in bold only on the list then click Delete.

#12 greenking13

greenking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Okay I have done the first one, but the second one might have to wait...

I now have a new BSOD(This came after I fixed the first one for a day.).

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
***STOP:0x00000050 (0x93ae0ab5, 0x00000001, 0xa79820c5, 0x00000000)
Thankfully I can get into SM /N this time so I already looked into it, and a site says it might be due to registry problems?
Any help on this one(or will I have to make a new topic for this one?)?

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I suspect the Zero Access rootkit is still alive and protected by a driver.

We need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

#14 greenking13

greenking13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

*Sigh*
Quick question, is there still a way to fix a problem even if you cannot even open safe mode(Somehow, I have lost the 0x50 problem and have came all the way back to 0x7E. And got a new problem.)
Also I am posting from a different computer than the one in which I am trying to fix(with this sites help.)

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Yes,we should be able to fix all these issues.
But we will need the DDS log in the Prep Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users