Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buzzing Sound from ASUS Laptop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hey guys,

I recently started noticing a loud buzzing sound coming from my laptop. I'm not certain what's causing it, but it's coming from the left side, where the fan probably is. It's loud and only happens occasionally. I haven't physically damaged my laptop at all, and this sound just randomly started a couple of days ago. Any ideas as to what's causing it?

Model: ASUS U56E model

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,420 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi, Is the air coming out of the laptop hotter than normal?

A Bad fan can make a buzzing sound when at high speed.
A Fan that is running at high speed trying to cool a overheating laptop can make a loud noise too.

It could be simple as the heatsink needing cleaning, How old is it?
Or it could be the way you are using it, Gaming makes them run hotter for example.
And the fan does run faster in the summertime if you are in a warm environment.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

September 95

#3 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi, Is the air coming out of the laptop hotter than normal?

A Bad fan can make a buzzing sound when at high speed.
A Fan that is running at high speed trying to cool a overheating laptop can make a loud noise too.

It could be simple as the heatsink needing cleaning, How old is it?
Or it could be the way you are using it, Gaming makes them run hotter for example.
And the fan does run faster in the summertime if you are in a warm environment.

Roger

It's definitely not overheating, I'm in a decently cool place.

The laptop is a year old, but how do I go about cleaning the heat sink?

EDIT: The buzzing is now constant, and louder...

Edited by WiReFrAmE, 16 July 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#4 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

The buzzing sound is now happening every time I turn on my laptop. It's definitely coming from the fan/heat sink area. It's louder and constant, even though I've done nothing but use a duster on it. Please help!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

If it is doing it even when the laptop is cold then either the fan is bad or something is hitting the blades.

I can't find a service manual for that model either.

Did you use the duster to blow into where the air come out? If so that may have pushed a blob of dust into where the fan blades are hitting it. If so can you figure out where to blow in the reverse direction to se if it helps?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

September 95

#6 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

If it is doing it even when the laptop is cold then either the fan is bad or something is hitting the blades.

I can't find a service manual for that model either.

Did you use the duster to blow into where the air come out? If so that may have pushed a blob of dust into where the fan blades are hitting it. If so can you figure out where to blow in the reverse direction to se if it helps?

Roger

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1336765&CatId=4936

That's the model.

I tried taking the duster and blowing everywhere else--the noise is still there.

Should I take it to get the fan checked out? Is it even the fan?

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

I did also see someone complaining about the hard drive buzzing, I take that with some skepticism however since he claimed to have taken it back and got a new one that did the same thing.

Only you can be sure where the noise is coming from. The fan is usually about a inch deep inside the case from where the air comes out. One other remote thing to check. No disk in the DVD drive is there?

Roger

September 95

#8 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

I did also see someone complaining about the hard drive buzzing, I take that with some skepticism however since he claimed to have taken it back and got a new one that did the same thing.

Only you can be sure where the noise is coming from. The fan is usually about a inch deep inside the case from where the air comes out. One other remote thing to check. No disk in the DVD drive is there?

Roger

Then it's definitely the fan...

There is no disc in the DVD drive.

Do you think I should get it checked out? I'm a little skeptical myself, since this laptop is only a year old--the fan shouldn't be having any problems, and I haven't been running anything intensive anyway.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

You could see what ASUS support says.

The link you posted looked like a link to a refurbished laptop. If you bought Refurbished no telling how much use it had before. On a refurbished as a general rule they only replace any bad parts and if it passes all tests without parts being replaced they just reload the OS and ship it as a refurb unit.

Roger

September 95

#10 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Now I think a wire is loose. I'm hearing the fan brush up against it. I'm going to take it to the shop to see what can be done.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Good Luck
Roger

September 95

#12 Pandora2014

Pandora2014

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

I WISH i would've found this forum before sending in my laptop to ASUS.

it's seriously been a pain having to deal with them since they've kept my laptop for almost 3 weeks now...

I really should've tried doing some of these things to first attempt to fix it myself.

never again am i sending my laptop for repair.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,420 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi

Warning! Please read this first.
Please be cautious with regards to opening Your laptop

If You are still under warranty I suggest never opening the computer. The maker could and often will refuse warranty if they detect it has been opened.

Also there are many delicate parts in a laptop, The different connectors being very easy to break.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. For the future, I have seen Speedy warranty work from Toshiba, Lenovo and Dell. Toshiba and Lenovo have a large network of Authorized Service Providers (ASP) that You can do walk in for service and Dell runs their own network that will come do the repairs on site if your warranty provides that service.

Toshiba and Lenovo overnight repair parts to their ASPs, excluding Saturday and Sunday deliveries.

HP took about a week in my experience.

I do like ASUS for motherboards despite their slowness.

September 95

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users