Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

netgear readyshare

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

Hello. I have a netgear n600 wndr3400v2 and I'm using the readyshare feature. I'm using a Kingston 64G drive.
The drive is formated NTFS. I can access the drive and read\write with no issues on Win7. My problem is, if I remove the drive (using safely remove drive) and plug it into my computer, it shows up as unformated.
I can however, access it on my Mac with no issues. And the Mac shows that it is still formated NTFS. My thought was that the netgear may re-format it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Try exploring thru some Netgear forums : http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61728

Tekken

#3 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

From the research I've done, it looks like there are some issues with ReadyShare that make it somewhat impractical. What is your need to access the Kingston from the network? I usually recommend that people that want some kind of networked storage to stream to and from or to save or backup files get some form of dedicated Network Attached Storage (NAS).

If the above sounds like the kind of thing you're interested in or what you are attempting, there are a variety of NAS devices available for all experience levels. For example, Western Digital makes a Personal Cloud drive for less than $200, with 3 TB of storage. You could back up all the devices in your house and probably still have plenty of room for movies and music. WD NAS

If it's just minor file transfers that you're doing, this probably isn't necessary, and I don't want to try and make you go spend a pile of money, but I haven't had great experiences with any of the networked storage features that routers offer. If regular networked storage is something that you'd like, you are usually better served using a NAS, both for speed, security (most NAS with a cloud feature use HTTPS rather than FTP), and ease of use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users