Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes vs. Norton 360 ??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NdotA

NdotA

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

I am one of the unnerved users of the Norton safety porducts, Norton 360 in my case. Okay, Norton 360 does not use the CPU completely, just blocks about half of it when you need it - but it is blocking the datapipelines more or less completely for minutes on end while performing its endless scans. I am doing some program development and naturally have big harddrive and big external drive to save my data. And a scan lasts long. Very long. A full compile of my prog is a matter of say half a minute on my system with Norton not installed, with Norton operating I can take a good nap while the compile completes. So I am looking for a replacement.

As I had a problem with some malware, I downloaded MalWarebytes and have the trial version running together with the Windows firewall - and I am very impressed about the low usage of system resources.

Question: Would this be sufficient to offer a reasonable level of security for my PC ?

Some background:
I am running Windows XP SP3 with WLAN connection to the internet.
I do not do any banking or financial activities via computer except an occasional payment by PayPal
I am not a heavy surfer and downloader of software and things. But on occasion I end on a page that would not be beneficial to minors, if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions ? It would not be a problem if it is not freeware that would be needed.

Thanks in advance - and keep up your good work, which is very much appreciated !

Norbert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 32,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

MBAM is a good security program but it is not an AntiVirus.

Question: The scans you mentioned Norton doing - you're not referring to the real-time protection are you? If not, can you change the settings in Norton to change the scan time to a time when you aren't using the computer for anything else? Or maybe set it up to do scans manually only? No matter what AV you're using, when it scans, it uses a lot of system resources, and you shouldn't really be doing anything else on the computer while it's going on.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Orrange Blossoms for your immediate response.

I have been fighting Norton 360 for quite some time now, checking for advice in the internet, especially in the Norton community. They only tell me I should not run two Anti Virus progs at the same time. Well, surely I do not.

Norton 360 offers a window where you can schedule the scans, but if you do or if you don't does not make much difference. I have heavy traffic on my harddrive and external drive all the time, if I am working or not. Especially when the PC was idling a bit - you can set a limit a timeframe for this, which is ignored by Norton - then my system works and works and does not realize I am through with idling and typing something. I have been waiting on occasion for more than a minute for ctrl/alt/delete to be processed. And then you find svchost.exe in more than one instance in full swing. Note: it is not the CPU-usage that bothers me in such cases -it seems to be the heavy data traffic that apparently delays keyboard input from being processed.

Apparently Norton checks the execution of programs as well. You can view a histogram of the CPU load for the last minutes or hours and find that whenever your program is high in the CPU, then Norton duplicates this. Apparently it checks every byte that is modified. And there is no way to get rid of this.

This thing might be blocking viruses quite effectively by blocking the computer from doing anything else but running Norton 360 - unfortunately this approach blocks me from working too. It is a downright pita. (pita = pain in the area of your body that is in contact with your chair when you sit down.)

Sorry, this was a little frustration boiling over. Sorry.
I would be very happy to have a virus protection that I could schedule for certain times or start manually. Norton 360 is no such thing.

Norbert

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 32,860 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

You may need to experiment a bit then to find an AV that suits you. Download the AV's you want to try out first. Once you have done that, disconnect from the internet. Uninstall your current AV. You may need to use the Norton Removal tool to get rid of it completely. I'd advise downloading that right away too just in case.

Once the old AV is uninstalled, then install one of the new ones you'd like to try. Connect to the internet, and update it.

A couple free ones that are stand-alone AVs:

Avast free found here: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Avira Free found here: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

A commercial AV that I've been quite pleased with is Eset Nod32 found here: http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/antivirus/ Of course, that one's not free. If that isn't a concern to you, there is a free trial period during which you could check it out.

There are other AV's available. The trick is to find those that are stand-alone AV's. Many have turned the path to security suites.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Currently I am installing MSE as a first shot for a makeshift cover of my privates.

Of course I am not directly opposing having an AV for free - buuuutt how do those guys producing the free AV make money ? Developing this software, keeping it up to date and offer some service for sure costs money. I'd say a lot of it is a quality product that they offer. So how can this be free ?

Experience makes me suspicious.

Norbert

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,308 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

In the case of MSE, it's a Microsoft product and they don't need it to generate revenue. Most of the other free anti virus products offer a paid upgrade. Anyone who assumes that a paid anti virus is better just because you have to pay for it is barking up the wrong tree. For example, Norton is a good product but it's a notorious resource hog that routinely slows computers down. Zone Alarm does the same thing. And McAfee is one of the worst products in the history of the internet yet some think it must be better because you have to pay for it. You don't get better protection just because you pay for it. Computer security is a moving target and anyone who believes that paying gives better security is chasing a ghost.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,691 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

how do those guys producing the free AV make money ? Developing this software, keeping it up to date and offer some service for sure costs money. I'd say a lot of it is a quality product that they offer. So how can this be free ?

An offer of a free product is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full or pro version. Market and promotional strategies are built into the business model as part of their operating costs.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#8 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

anyone who believes that paying gives better security is chasing a ghost.

No no, that is not what I am thinking about.

You see, when a project needs funding and is running for some time there is somebody who funds it. And this individual or organisation does the funding for a reason. Example: Some time ago I buildt a website and included a 'free' hitcounter. Only to learn later that this counter came with a piece of software that took note of the visitor's internet adress and had them pestered with advertising - and myself into the bargain.

If I know, that the free AV is a promotional thing for a full version I know what to expect: being informed once in a while that it would be a good thing to upgrade now or that the task at hand could be done much better by the full version or any such things. This would be okay to me. But I would hate to have to register and find out that the organisation makes its money by selling my data. Or worse.

So, hopefully I successfully clarified I am not so stupid (;-)) to throw my money away.

But now I am having Malwarebytes and MSE installed on my system. How is the best way to utilise them both ? I see Malwarebytes has a protection feature as well (it talks German to me, so I do not know what would be the English tag). What does this do ? Would this interfere with the real time scans of MSE ?

Thanks for your support folks.

Norbert

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,691 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,308 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

anyone who believes that paying gives better security is chasing a ghost.

No no, that is not what I am thinking about.

You see, when a project needs funding and is running for some time there is somebody who funds it. And this individual or organisation does the funding for a reason. Example: Some time ago I buildt a website and included a 'free' hitcounter. Only to learn later that this counter came with a piece of software that took note of the visitor's internet adress and had them pestered with advertising - and myself into the bargain.

If I know, that the free AV is a promotional thing for a full version I know what to expect: being informed once in a while that it would be a good thing to upgrade now or that the task at hand could be done much better by the full version or any such things. This would be okay to me. But I would hate to have to register and find out that the organisation makes its money by selling my data. Or worse.

So, hopefully I successfully clarified I am not so stupid (;-)) to throw my money away.

But now I am having Malwarebytes and MSE installed on my system. How is the best way to utilise them both ? I see Malwarebytes has a protection feature as well (it talks German to me, so I do not know what would be the English tag). What does this do ? Would this interfere with the real time scans of MSE ?

Thanks for your support folks.

Norbert

Look, you're the one who expressed a level of mistrust if a security product is free. Every product is different and they all have different business models. In the case of MSE, it's a loss leader. For years, Microsoft was under fire for not addressing computer security and allowing third party vendors to dominate the free anti virus market. At the time, they did have a paid product. MSE is strictly a public relations move that has successfully addressed those concerns. They don't need to make money with MSE. Microsoft makes too much money already. And if your concern is Microsoft will sell your personal information, they already have your information and they don't sell it. As for Malware Bytes, if you use it as an on demand scanner, it won't conflict with anything. I run a Malware Bytes scan weekly.

Edited by frankp316, 26 June 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#11 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Frank,

this discussion is taking a curve I do not want it to take. I am perfectly aware of Microsoft's business situation and its relationship and knowledge about me. I was talking about the others that I do not know yet. Please let us stop on this track. You have your views, I have mine and all is fine as it is. Peace !

Thanks quietman for this link.

Norbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users