Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BD ROM not recognizing CD ROMs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hello BP community!

I've been having trouble playing games with my Optical drive. It will recognize some game discs but not others. Here's the background: While I was deploying to Afghanistan, I picked up several games to help with what little down time I would have. I picked up Bioshock I, Oblivion, Lego Star Wars (all of them on one disc), Torchlight, and The Witcher. I played all of them while I was in training before deployment and during. After I returned, I spent several months (7 to be exact) job hunting. I finally decide to replay The Witcher and the optical drive wouldn't even recognize that there was a disc in the drive. Weird. I put in all of the other discs mentioned above and they all ran perfectly. I checked the disc itself, and it is a bit scratched (no more than the others as far as I'm concerned). I figured it was just lost. Fast forward to today. I purchased The Witcher 2 and my optical drive won't recognize the disc at all. I'm at a lost. Is this a simple driver update thing? I've tried updating the driver but it says its the most up to date. My machine is fully updated with HP and MS/Windows software. I tried the Witcher forums, but they only suggested I update my drivers.

Any suggestions? Here's my machine info:
HP Pavilion DV7 1260us
Windows Vista x64 Home Premium SP2
AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM 74
A Lightscribe enabled Bluray-Disc DVDRW
--Current driver HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon (I can't determine the exact product number, which is weird)

Let me know if there's anything else is needed. If it helps, I have also had problems with the HP Mediasmart. I've had to uninstall and reinstall it several times and it still fails to play Blurays.

drunkle
"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

It is not uncommon for a failing optical drive to do screwy things such as reading some disks and not others. in my past experiences, replacing the drive with a $20 replacement you pick up online will save the head ache of wondering why some work and some do.

I had one that would play media disks but not read .iso boot images. I tried to work around it, playing with this or that.

You may consider cleaning the lens with an alcohol dipped Q-tip to see if it is dirty first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users