Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BD ROM not recognizing CD ROMs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drunkle

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hello BP community!

I've been having trouble playing games with my Optical drive. It will recognize some game discs but not others. Here's the background: While I was deploying to Afghanistan, I picked up several games to help with what little down time I would have. I picked up Bioshock I, Oblivion, Lego Star Wars (all of them on one disc), Torchlight, and The Witcher. I played all of them while I was in training before deployment and during. After I returned, I spent several months (7 to be exact) job hunting. I finally decide to replay The Witcher and the optical drive wouldn't even recognize that there was a disc in the drive. Weird. I put in all of the other discs mentioned above and they all ran perfectly. I checked the disc itself, and it is a bit scratched (no more than the others as far as I'm concerned). I figured it was just lost. Fast forward to today. I purchased The Witcher 2 and my optical drive won't recognize the disc at all. I'm at a lost. Is this a simple driver update thing? I've tried updating the driver but it says its the most up to date. My machine is fully updated with HP and MS/Windows software. I tried the Witcher forums, but they only suggested I update my drivers.

Any suggestions? Here's my machine info:
HP Pavilion DV7 1260us
Windows Vista x64 Home Premium SP2
AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM 74
A Lightscribe enabled Bluray-Disc DVDRW
--Current driver HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device
ATI Radeon (I can't determine the exact product number, which is weird)

Let me know if there's anything else is needed. If it helps, I have also had problems with the HP Mediasmart. I've had to uninstall and reinstall it several times and it still fails to play Blurays.

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

It is not uncommon for a failing optical drive to do screwy things such as reading some disks and not others. in my past experiences, replacing the drive with a $20 replacement you pick up online will save the head ache of wondering why some work and some do.

I had one that would play media disks but not read .iso boot images. I tried to work around it, playing with this or that.

You may consider cleaning the lens with an alcohol dipped Q-tip to see if it is dirty first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users