Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot unistall Combofix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SRSnure

SRSnure

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hello - I downloaded and started to install Combofix thinking that I was installing it to run later from a USB drive. However, I saw from a screen prompt that during the installation that indicated it was actually going to run its detection process and that problems could occur by doing so. That said, I killed the process to see out an uninstallation procedure on my Window 7 laptop. I found that I was to run "combofix /uninstall", which I did. Unfortunately I received a box that said, "Error opening file for writing: C:\32788R22FWJFW\pev.3XE." I retried with the same result. I aborted and tried again. Same result. I hit "ignore" to skip that file, but it immediately found another file and produced the same error. Also, I now see the folder and sub-folders created during the installation process that I don't want. I'm hesitent to simply delete this folder and another on labeled, "Qoobox" that appeared during the installtion. I thought do to do this, then run CCleaner to clean up the registry. So the queston is, how can I uninstall Combofix? Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

The correct way to uninstall ComboFix can be found here.
  • When finished you will see a dialog box stating that "ComboFix has been uninstalled".
  • After that, you can remove the ComboFix.exe program from your Desktop by right-clicking and choosing delete.
  • If you encounter any problems using the switch from the Run dialog box, just rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe, then double-click on it to remove.

Note: There was a recent issue with ComboFix and its uninstall which the developer just fixed and released an updated version. Before doing the above, delete the version you have, go here, download the latest version and save to the Desktop. <-Important!!!

Afterwards, please do not run ComboFix again. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 SRSnure

SRSnure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply. I had originally followed the correct instructions on removing Combofix. However, I tried it again and received the same error message. That said I renamed the Combofix.exe file to Uninstall.exe as you suggested. It appeared to go throught the extract and install process, but failed as referenced previously. One last comment. I'm running this from my USB drive if that makes a difference. Any further help on resolving this issue would be appreciated. Thanks!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Place the new updated version of CF that I asked you to downloaded on your Desktop and run from there.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users