Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can only run IE9 as Administrator

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

This Wednesday, I installed this week's Windows updates and restarted my Win7-64bit eMachines desktop. Now, IE9 only works if I run it as Administrator. I ran a Malwarebytes full scan, and Advanced System Care Deep Clean, and restarted. Still the same problem. So I googled the issue, and Microsoft advises to reinstall IE by uninstalling IE9. I'm leery of doing so because I'm not a geek and thus afraid of messing up other Windows operations that rely on IE. Does anyone know if I should do this? If so, what do I download in order to reinstall IE? What other info can I provide that might be relevant? Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm leery of doing so because I'm not a geek and thus afraid of messing up other Windows operations that rely on IE.

Go ahead. :thumbup2:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

#3 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thanks, NarenXP. I'm still unclear on what to do. Do I have to first uninstall anything, or just do the download from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-9/worldwide-languages? Thanks again for yur help.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Sorry,uninstall IE 9 as instructed,restart the PC

Install IE 9

good luck

#5 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Thanks, I finally found time over the weekend to uninstall IE9 (I'd been using Chrome in the meanwhile.) You were right: It just reverted to IE8. Unfortunately, now I am having the self-same problem with IE8: It only works if I run as administrator! Any ideas as to what I might try next, please? This machine is mostly used by my elderly Dad, and he has trouble reading Chrome's fonts, even when they are well magnified,

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:59 AM

Can you launch Internet explorer if you disable UAC?

How to disable UAC

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Create a new user account and see if you can launch internet explorer normally

#7 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

When I disable UAC, all users can use IE as expected. However -- as this PC has multiple users, not all of them responsible, I wouldn't keep UAC permanently disabled; and when I reenable UAC, the problem reappears.
What can I try next, please?

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Boot into admin account,right click on Internet explorer

Click on security tab

See if you can provide FULL control to standard user account

boot into standard user account and try to launch Internet explorer

#9 Bobes

Bobes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi, I have the same problem - W7 64bit, since some Windows update I am able to run IE9 and Firefox only as Administrator. With Chrome I have no any problem. I hope that it is some win update bug and after some next updates will be everything OK again.

#10 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

I still have not been successful at resolving this issue. Giving standard user full control would defeat the purpose of having a standard user. In addition, messing with user security settings could wreak havoc on the entire OS.

#11 Bobes

Bobes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

All web browsers I can run only when clicking on the exe file directly from the folder where they are installed. If I create a shortcut it can be placed anywhere, browsers normally run. The exception is that the shortcut can not be placed on the desktop, taskbar or Start menu. From there I can run the browsers just only as administrator. In Task Manager I everytime see that the application starts, but immediately ends automatically.
In addition, in Google Chrome stopped working Shockwave Flash plugin and can not connect to update server.
I am runing Win7 Pro 64bit, programs have on SSD disk, documents on standard HDD
I do not know, but probably will be easiest way to solve it when I will reinstall Windows :-(

#12 D1N0

D1N0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Just registered for this. I could only boot Firefox IE or Google Chrome in administrator mode(chrome hardly works in that mode since no java script works). In user mode i'd get the waiting ring for a while and then nothing. After scanning my pc with malwarebytes anti-malware it found five infections and quarantined them. I rebooted and everything worked again. De problem was only in my user account and not in any other one (win 7 home x64). (windows defender failed to find the culprits by the way) Don't now how i got it since i have avira en comodo running and up to date.

It found the following baddies:

C:\ProgramData\Windows\msseedir.dll (Trojan.FakeMS)
C:\ProgramData\Windows\ccdxmmde.dat (Malware.Trace)
C:\ProgramData\Windows\drss.dat (Malware.Trace)
C:\ProgramData\Windows\xessmsxe.dat (Malware.Trace)

and a reg key:
HKCR\CLSID\{312BFDCE-A901-4203-B4F2-ADCB957D1887} (Trojan.FakeMS)

Edited by D1N0, 12 July 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#13 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

At end, I had to reinstall Windows 7 and reload all my programs and data: Took a full day, but all problems now resolved, hopefully for good! B)

#14 Youngdong.Lee

Youngdong.Lee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

Next time, you may want to try this way.

1. Run IE as Administrator.
2. Go to "Tools > Internet Options > Programs," then click "Manage add-ons"
3. Select "Show: All add-ons"
4. On the right panel, select all add-ons. (Ctrl+A combination will make it easy)
5. Click "Disable all," then "Close." (Make sure all add-ons' status are 'Disabled')
6. Close IE, then open it again. This time, not as Administrator of course.

If this works, try this procedure again by disabling(or enabling) one by one.
Then maybe you'll be able to find out which add-on causes the problem. In my case,
it was Adobe Flash Player, so I did reinstall it. Problem solved. Don't forget to
enable all the add-ons again except the troubling one, by the way.

Good luck.

Edited by Youngdong.Lee, 11 October 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#15 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, Youngdong.Lee. I resolved this issue in August, but if it reappears (arghhh!) I'll certainly try your suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users