Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to remove MyStart by Incredibar search engine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ladytdd

ladytdd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

I like to play games so while the game was installing, I must have missed one of those "do you want to also install questions". Once the installation was finished, I had a MyStart by Incredibar toolbar. I went to my Programs and Features and uninstalled the toolbar, no problem!! A couple of days later, I noticed my search engine had changed. I went to Internet Options, General, and Change search defaults. I deleted all except Yahoo. I also deleted the Browsing History. I ran MSCONFIG and also checked the Task Manager. Any other suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I did a quick google search for this, and they're saying that it installs as a browser add-on. Have you checked your add-ons to see if it is listed there? If so, you should be able to just uninstall it.

Also, what browser are you using? WHere is the "search engine" appearing? Redirecting your home page? Hijacking your "search box" in the browser?

#3 ladytdd

ladytdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info, but I did edit the add-ons. I actually deleted all but yahoo. I'm browsing with ie9 and get hijacked starting a search from the homepage. It's driving me crazy, even searched c drive. I'm still trying to figure out windows 7.

#4 ladytdd

ladytdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

I also noticed if I select a subject under Trending Now, it's yahoo all the way.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Check to see if MyStart is set as your home page. Since you are new to 7, here is how:
  • Navigate to the webpage you want to set as the home page.
  • Click the Tools button Posted Image, and then click Internet options.
  • Do one of the following:

• To set the current webpage as the home page, click Use current.
    • To reset the home page, click Use default.
    • To set a blank home page, click Use blank.
  • Click OK.
QUOTE from one forum: Amazing - I had removed MyStart from the list of search engines, but it was still shown as my home page. Have now removed it and all is well. Thank you for your prompt and efficient help.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#6 ladytdd

ladytdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

I have yahoo as my homepage. That's what is puzzling to me. MyStart decided it was going to be my homepage, so I uninstalled the toolbar and made yahoo my homepage again. But I still have Mystart as my search engine. It won't go away!!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,885 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

If you got this crap ware in the last month, I suggest you do a system restore to a date before that time.
System Restore - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#8 ladytdd

ladytdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Beautiful, worked just beautifully!! Thanks, it was very much appreciated!!

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,885 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Good!
Now go to Windows Update and check for updates.
Go back to Internet Options and delete all cookies and Temporary files.

Lawrence M. Krauss

#10 Sarah Gates

Sarah Gates

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

It's amazing how Google is still ranking sites that have this software embedded with popular installers, no one wants its and its a pain in the neck to remove.

Removing Incredibar is straight forward and doesn't require installing additional software, The pain in the arse is that Conduit malware! Gosh don't get me started on that.

I found this link Remove Incredibar which supports removing of mystart incredibar search from Firefox, and a Chrome version can be found at the bottom of the page, I was unable to find a removal process for IE on that page since I don't use IE myself, who does these days? :P

If you have any problems just PM me on the forums :)

#11 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

If you have any problems just PM me on the forums :)

Hi -
If there are still problems, we prefer them to be discussed on the open area of the forum and not by PMs -
The simple reason is that any slight misunderstanding can lead to further problems, that we can all help with.

This is not being personal in any way, but this is an open forum, and problems are best kepy in the open -

I hope you do understand -
Thank You -

Spelling Edit -

Edited by noknojon, 17 September 2012 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users