Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing administrator account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have a Windows XP system which is missing an administrator account. If fact, only a guest account exists. How can I set up an administrator account when none exists at present?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001096.htm

Tekken

#3 kris finney

kris finney

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

I don't believe you can delete delete the built in administrator account (it is actually called administrator)

Open command prompt and type net user see what comes up then paste what you see here, also after this try going to the login screen and hitting ctrl alt delete twice then type in 'administrator'

leave password blank unless you remember any passwords you assigned to any account it could well be this one.

You might have renamed the administrator account which is hidden as default unless in safe mode.

When and if you login to the administrator account you can just create a new account in control panel, make sure to tick the box that says 'computer administrator' and not 'limited user'

Or you can rename this account by going into the local users and groups tool/window, right clicking on the account in which you should be sure is this one and typing in a new nickname.

Edited by kris finney, 09 June 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,530 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

The default admin account is still there. There is no way to delete it. Why don't you describe any problems you are having and we'll try to help.
Admin, Tweaks.com Forums

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi,

It turned out that there was an administrator account all along. I get a window that lets you enter the username and password. How do I change it so that icons for each account appear on the logon screen?

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

Hi,

It turned out that there was an administrator account all along. I get a window that lets you enter the username and password. How do I change it so that icons for each account appear on the logon screen?

go to Start / control panel /users/ open change the way users log on and off ,and check to use the welcome screen

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hi Caperjac,

I have two Windows XP systems. One of them has the option you describe, the other does not. I searched everywhere under 'User Accounts' but couldn't find anything to make the change I'm looking for. Maybe this version is older. Do you have any other suggestions? It's really a pain to have to type the name of the account in order to logon. The logon window defaults to the most recent account used. Icons make it much easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users