Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open/save any attachments in hotmail or gmail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lmgm

lmgm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hello

I suddenly found that my laptop would no longer let me open or save any attachments in either gmail or hotmail.

I get a message that says 'What do you want to do with 'GetAttachment...' followed by a huge string of numbers / symbols that bear no resemblance to the document name. (Usually, the documents i'm trying to save or download are .doc or .docx documents.)

When I click save, save as, or open, nothing happens. Usually there is no failure message, no timer - just nothing at all.

I have tried updating my edition of Microsoft Office. This made no difference. I have also run a virus scan, which revealed nothing. I have cleared my temporary internet history and cookies. And I haven't, to my knowledge, changed any settings on the computer that would prevent attachments from being downloaded.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful!

My laptop is 3 years old and can be a little temperamental but this is its only serious regular malfunction. I'm looking at replacing it if I can't solve this as it makes it unusable for what I need it for!

Thanks

L

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Might be your web browser. What are you using?
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Have you tried this? Automatically repair Office programs - Excel - Office.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#4 coisty-dk

coisty-dk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

I recognise this exact fault and have sorted it this way.
(all useful replies should start like this, 'helpful' techies please take note)

In Internet Explorer browser toolbar, click Tools, Internet options, Advanced. Cursor well down to the security section and uncheck the box at 'Do not save encrypted files to disk'.

?sorted DK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users