Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a new Washing machine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

OK I'm in the market for a new washing machine (laundry) for the second time in 2 years, here are the qualifications:

1) No Eco Friendly junk, I want clean clothes, scr-w the environment! I'm sure washing clothes once with a good machine is better then washing 4 pair of jeans 5 times in an eco-friendly one
2) No Computerized anything
3) Large Stainless Steel tub, I have to wash my Carharts in it and I'd like to get more then one pair in at one time

To explain why these thing matter. My current machine is a Eco-friendly H.E. washer by GE. No matter how you wash clothes they tend to come out just as dirty as they went in, the loading sensors refuse to put enough water in the tub to clean, the agitator doesn't agitate it merely gently starts and stops every 30 seconds which does nothing to remove heavily soiled clothes (the only kind we have here), then to top it off the Magnetic "lid sensor" (what was wrong with a spring loaded plunger?) quit on me last week. Needless to say I've had enough and I'm tired of having to go to the laundromat (30 miles away) to actually get clean clothes.

In case you're wondering what I'm washing in this thing I'm a diesel mechanic and my dad is a farmer. You can figure out the rest.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Load-Washer-With-Stainless-Steel/dp/B002VFF42G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_la_6

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

raybcuserbar.jpg

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I know you dont necessarily want eco friendly-however, I am a truck driver, I get oil and grease and other stuff all over my clothes all the time, and we have -1020629/WTW8600YW/"]this washing machine, it is eco friendly, but it does an excellent job of getting my clothes, especially my jeans clean. Its agitator-less, which is the first of its kind that Ive ever seen, but it does work, and it works very well at removing the grease.
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

My 20 year old washer (Eco stats: middle of the road water consumption, middle of the road energy consumption top loader) was out of commission for a week waiting for a replacement coupling. During that time I went to two different local laundromats (a financial interest in low up-front cost, low energy usage, and low maintenance cost) and both were using eco-friendly front loaders. One still had some old conventional agitator tub machines. Since I may have to replace my washer ... eventually ... I asked the owner (wife of the guy who owns the garage I take my mini-van to) about their plans and experiences. She was pretty satisfied with the new front loaders on all counts.

That being said, there may still be a few dogs out there. I'd go to the local library and check an issue of Consumer Reports. They're usually pretty good. (Or check with someone who runs a local laundromat.)

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Oh, for the good ole days....

Posted Image

There were safety issues, though.......

Posted Image

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#6 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

@ BlackSpyder,

Over the years i have found no matter what kind of washing machine i used,If I used "Waterless Hand Soap" on my hubby's greasy jeans they ALWAYS came out clean.

Rub Waterless Hand Soap on the greasy spot's, let sit for a few minutes and then wash with whatever detergent you like.
It's dang near fool proof!!
and I'll add this as a just in caser... :hysterical:
Peroxide will take out blood stains, such as those that may be on your jeans because you wacked your knuckles on a wrench and then wiped them on your shirt or britches.
Wet bloodied item, pour some peroxide on the blood, again let set for a few minutes, then just wash as you would regularly.

I hope this helps....

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#7 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh, for the good ole days....

Posted Image

There were safety issues, though.......

Posted Image

My fool cousin got his arm caught in the ringer of that type of washer and it left his arm horribly disfigured for life so I'll take your safety issue over his any day of the week and twice on Sunday :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'll take a second hand Whirlpool over a brand new anything else. You can't kill them.

Here is another conversation on the subject on another forum that I am a member. (I hope no one minds the link.)

Edited by Bezukhov, 07 June 2012 - 05:01 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

Blue Rondo à la Turk~~Dave Brubeck Quartet

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,610 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

This one is a bit pricey. It is NOT computerized as far as I can tell. Controls are all mechanical knobs that you turn, no push buttons. It is designed to be repaired by the owner as all the parts are accessible from the front. If you lack the skills to do such repairs or lack a friend who can do such repairs, then don't get it as appliance repair folks won't touch it with a 10 foot pole as they don't know the brand, at least where I live. Might be different in Ohio. Excellent tech. assistance over the phone if needed. This is not to say that it needs a lot of repairs. Mine didn't need any until Dad forgot to check his pockets before doing the laundry. It is essential to check pockets etc. for nails, screws, and the like as such will cause damage to the machine as I know to my sorrow.

Gets clothes very clean, and spins them a lot dryer than any other washing machine I know. It must be on a very solid and stable surface as the spin cycle is incredibly fast. If you don't have such a surface, don't get it.

It is a top loader with side action like a front loader. It has a HUGE capacity, and yes, the drum is stainless steel. Inner drum is hexagonal shaped. As a bonus, it is water and energy efficient, and you use a LOT less detergent. In fact, when you first wash clothes in it that have been washed in other washers, don't put ANY detergent in it. The machine will use the detergent that stayed in the clothes from the previous washings. I am not kidding. It will get out the dirt AND the left over detergent. Of course, pretreating stubborn stains is a good idea under any circumstances.

http://www.staber.com/washingmachines

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 07 June 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users