Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ads Appearing in Bottom Right of Your Browser?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 The General

The General

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi well this is my first time here, so thought I might be able to help, hope this is in the right section.

The problem I am refering to will happen in I.E. and Firefox, I am unsure about other browers as I dont run them, but I am sure this might happen.

Do you get small box like ads in the bottom right of your browser window on random pages you visit? (note with a little black X just above the ad)?

When you click the X just above the ad does it leave text saying "Recommended For You"?

If this sounds like you, please buy this at £200 pounds, sorry just joking, read below.

1) Look at your Host file

(As standard) C/Windows7/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc (Should be the same for XP and Vista)

2) Open it, using NotePad (Read step 5), I know arse about face, lol)

3) Should look like this -

# Copyright © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

Note - Scroll down on Notepad further, maybe 200 lines and you should see this

149.5.18.172 www.google-analytics.com.
149.5.18.172 ad-emea.doubleclick.net.
149.5.18.172 www.statcounter.com.
108.163.215.51 www.google-analytics.com.
108.163.215.51 ad-emea.doubleclick.net.
108.163.215.51 www.statcounter.com.

If you do, then these are the little devils causing the problem.

4) You have to delete all the lines above (149.5.18.172 www.google-analytics.com.etc) and the spaces till you get back to ::1 localhost but do not delete that line. On XP/Vista that line might not exist so delete to 127.0.0.1 localhost

5) To Edit the host file and remove these - Click Start – Right-click on NotePad select “Run as Administrator“. This should launch notepad with elevated privileges. Now, open the host file from the File menu, and delete as i said above, use the windows X and then press save.

You should be set and ready to surf without those ads popping up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users