Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Removal of S.M.A.R.T Repair/Check Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thecole11

thecole11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Ok, this is my very first post on this website, so first off hello, and second, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section. So, here's my problem. My mother somehow obtained the S.M.A.R.T Repair/Check virus last night on her laptop. I've never had a problem removing any virus from anyone of my family members computers before, but I'm waving the white flag on this one. I just can't seem to kill this mother. I'll let you guys know what I've done so far, so hopefully someone can help me out before I break something in the house. Also, I'm not very intelligent with computers, so please bear with me. First, I ran "rkill", but the only thing that stopped was the "Windows Home Premium". Then I ran "Malwarebytes" in safe mode, it found 2 threats, "PUM.Hijack.StartMenu". After removing those, I ran "Tdsskiller" and it found nothing. I went ahead and restart the computer, and it didn't fix a thing. I've done this twice, thinking maybe it would work the second time. It didn't. I really hope someone can help me out here, thank you all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Follow this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-hdd

#3 thecole11

thecole11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

That's actually one of the links that I found and followed. I'm telling you, I don't know what's wrong. It just won't find anything other than the"PUM.Hijack.StartMenu" threats. I'm at a loss here

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Can you post the logs that you have so we can take a better look?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

From the link posted:

"If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked below:

Preparation Guide for Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help "

I suggest following that guidance and posting the logs requested in the Prep Guide...in the forum linked to in the Prep Guide.

Louis

#6 thecole11

thecole11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

Sorry it took me a bit to get back on here guys. It took me until about 2:00 a.m. last night, but I figured it out. Basically what I did was, let the virus run, pop-ups and all, then find the pid codes for it (and false alerts). For some reason it was blocking rkill from the desktop, hard drive and from a usb even with changing the name, etc. Anyway, I killed the pid codes, which then let me run rkill, followed by deleting the icons, start menu programs, etc. I then ran Malwarebytes, which after doing the previous things, let MB find the corrupted files. I finished up by running Tdsskiller and Combofix, restarted the laptop, then wallah, it was fixed. Thanks to everyone that responded.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Since you ran combofix, Please follow the instructions in ==>Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

Most importantly please be patient till you get a reply to your topic. If you receive a reply from the HelpBot, then please follow the instructions outlined in the helpbot's post.

You may still have remnants of the infection, and I strongly recommend that you get your logs analysed. The infection could still be there, because some malware writers like to hide certain things.

Also:

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise with new malware infections or other security tools conflicting with ComboFix, experts are aware of them and can advise users what should or should not be done while providing assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

What specific issues are you having that requires using ComboFix?

Compliments of QuietMan7

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

<<...then wallah, it was fixed. Thanks to everyone that responded.>>

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users