Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarting during boot, Will start up with Hiren's boot disk

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

I would say its time to replace the drive.

No, not at all!
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 mangork

mangork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

The recovery disk is for xp home.

#18 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

I would if it was my computer no telling how much time the current drive has to still be able to take data off of it.

#19 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

... xp home.

The reason that I asked, is because there are different versions of chkdsk, and some are better than others.
Before we attempt to actually do anything (namely repair the file-system corruption), we should test the hard drive.

Test the hard drive.

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#20 mangork

mangork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

The hard drive passed both of the seagate tests.

#21 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

Good! :thumbup2:

Please try the following ...

Let's use a FreeDOS image for CD that contains a few tools (compiled & hosted by noahdfear).

The first step is carried out using a working computer.
:step1: Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD:
  • Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
  • Open the folder and locate BurnItCD: Launch it by double-clicking it.
  • When BurnCDCC opens, click Start: The CD tray will open.
  • Insert a blank CD and click OK.
    The tray will close, burn the image and then eject the disk.

:step2: Run chkdsk on the problematic computer.
  • Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
  • Once presented with the boot screen press <ENTER> to boot from the CD.
    After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen.
  • Press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
    You should now be at the Tool options screen.
  • Type 5 and press <ENTER> to choose the command prompt.
    You will see an X:\> prompt, where X: is the ramdrive (temporary drive space in memory).
  • At the command prompt type the following bolded command:

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk
  • and press <ENTER>.
    You will be prompted (in ?Dutch) to press <ENTER>.
  • Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
    Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
    Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type menu and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 to select Quit, and press <ENTER>.
  • Press <Ctrl+Alt+Del> to restart, and remove the CD.
  • Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.
Please let me know if chkdsk reports any errors or corrections made, or if it completes without incident.
***(With thanks to noahdfear for the above tool and instructions.)
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#22 mangork

mangork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Edit: Sorry accidently selected british somehow. Ran chkdsk and get
Causeway error 09: unrecoverable exception program terminated

Edited by mangork, 03 June 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#23 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

The chances of being able to repair the file system corruption are not looking good. I have just two other options to suggest:
  • Try using a Win7/Vista/XP 64bit installation disk to boot from and run chkdsk /r.
  • Try using a Linux LIVE CD operating system to run ntfsfix from a terminal.
Re: ntfsfix
Any Linux will do the job, but I include a link that uses Puppy and which includes information on running ntfsfix:
Note: Doing the above will force Windows to run a disk check on startup. ***:

>>> so attempt to restart the computer normally after doing this and hope that Windows will run chkdsk and fix the problem!
=========================
Instructions for creating a Puppy CD ...

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
    • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
    • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
    • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
    • There are two versions currently available: I suggest trying Slacko Puppy first.
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will have internet access in the normal manner.
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 June 2012 - 05:03 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#24 mangork

mangork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

No dice with #2, windows rebooted during part 3 of the chkdsk and the computer just reboots where it did before now if I try to start in windows. I'll try to find an x64 installation CD but from asking around earlier I am not sure if I will be able to find one. If I can't am I pretty much just limited to reinstalling windows?

#25 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

No dice with #2, windows rebooted during part 3 of the chkdsk and the computer just reboots where it did before now ...

Excellent! .... sort of ....

Try again. Run ntfsfix to force a chkdsk, and then attempt to start Windows normally again in the hope that chkdsk will run and fix the problem.

That will be using the best version of chkdsk on your XP 64 bit system, so there is no point in looking for another installation disk.

If this technique continues to fail to repair the system after several attempts, then you will be forced to scrap the current Windows installation.

Good luck.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 June 2012 - 07:51 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#26 mangork

mangork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well I've ran chkdsk 4 times now and it isn't working, I'll try it some more later but I am guessing I should start shopping for an OS.

#27 mangork

mangork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

So it doesn't look like I can find an xp 64 cd to reinstall from so I think I will just upgrade to windows 7. If I do that should it work ok, by that I mean if I buy the upgrade version should it recognize that I have xp installed on the computer and work?

#28 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Pity we couldn't get the corruption problem fixed with chkdsk: We gave it a good shot, and had reason to hope for the best.

... if I buy the upgrade version should it recognize that I have xp installed on the computer and work?

That's a very good question and one which I cannot answer. It "should" ... but there is no guarantee that the new installation will recognise the old XP installation in its current corrupted state. You could try it: However, it is a considerable risk.

In my opinion, having tested the HDD already and found no problem, it is always the best option to wipe an old HDD clean with something like dban or killdisk, and then perform a fresh clean installation on the HDD.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users