Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after start up - REGISTRY_ERROR *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000001, 0x8A01C008, 0x01147000, 0x00000374)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brunox13

Brunox13

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I was advised to repost it here - original post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic454846.html

After the start up programs load (or maybe even while some of them are still being started, not sure) after turning the system on (Windows 7), I suddenly get a BSOD that says the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer

REGISTRY_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove of disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000001, 0x8A01C008, 0x01147000, 0x00000374)

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: (counting up to 100)

Then I run my system in safe mode, which works fine. I am not aware of any new software/hardware since the last successful start of the system.
I also tried restarting the system to normal mode with startup programs turned off, but preventing ALL both SYSTEM and NORMAL startup programs from running did not solve the problem. Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Mod Edit: Removed DDS log, not allowed (malware removal tool) in this forum, also removed attachments - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2012 - 04:03 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Malware Removal Logs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

Let's collect some more information (you can do this in Safe Mode with networking): I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem.

Please follow the instructions: BSOD Posting Instructions: Windows 7 - Vista

(Note: When you run BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe, it will also run autoruns.exe ... and both need to be in the same location!)
... with one exception in the following line:
  • "4. Zip up the entire output folder + PERFMON and attach the zip file to your next post."
The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit). Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file. I will have a look at the contained information and see if I can shed some light on your BSOD issue.

See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Brunox13

Brunox13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hello, thanks for your assistance!

This is the zip file:

http://wikisend.com/download/873866/Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip

HOWEVER, when I was trying to create the System Health Report, the following error occured:

Error:
An error occured while attempting to generate the report.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Therefore, the file above contains everything except for the PERFMON report. Is there anything I can do about that??
Thanks!

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

I also tried restarting the system to normal mode with startup programs turned off, but preventing ALL both SYSTEM and NORMAL startup programs from running did not solve the problem.

I would like to firstly check and confirm what you have done as referred to in the above statement. Perhaps you have already done what I am about to ask, but if not sure, then please try it again.

Please try Step 1: Perform a clean boot as instructed in the following link:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Can you then start Windows normally without the system crashing?

If a clean boot can be made ...
*** Eset's firewall will no longer be running, so enable the Windows firewall. ***

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 June 2012 - 04:40 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Brunox13

Brunox13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

I did what you told me to and the system BSODed again... but then I did hard drive check in automatic system repair and now it is working even in normal mode. Should I try to restart again also with startup programs?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:23 AM

... but then I did hard drive check in automatic system repair ...

Would you please explain to me what this is/how you went about doing this. I do not understand exactly what has happened.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Brunox13

Brunox13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

Sorry for not having been clear.
After I did the clean boot according to the instructions, it BSODed and rebooted and gave me the black screen where one can pick "safe mode" - instead, I picked "automated system recovery" (or something along those, lines) and then "windows memory diagnostic" - it didn't find anything but then it rebooted to normal mode which is running fine now (still without any startup programs I think)

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

... I picked "automated system recovery" (or something along those, lines) and then "windows memory diagnostic" - it didn't find anything ...

OK ... I am a little closer to understanding. Still not sure exactly though, as in your previous post you mentioned hard drive check whereas later you said memory diagnostic.

I have to wonder if it was merely a coincidence that it has started up normally in a clean-boot state.

I will tell you now, that there are two suspects in my mind for your problem:
  • ESET version 4 is known to have caused troubles with Windows 7 after some recent Microsoft updates to Windows, and it is recommended that you remove it completely and then update with version 5.
  • Daemon Tools Lite and its driver, sptd.sys is a known trouble-maker/bsod-maker in Windows 7 and is probably best removed altogether.
Now, whether you wish to do those two jobs now, while you are able to start Windows normally, or you wish to enable everything and test the system as it is .... I guess is up to you.

Firstly I'd suggest that you simply restart the system without making any changes to confirm that it will indeed restart normally without any problems.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Brunox13

Brunox13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Sorry for having confused you the first time - I did only the memory diagnostic, not any "hard drive check."

I completely removed Daemon Tools Lite, went to msconfig.exe and set "Normal startup" in startup selection, restarted and it seems to be working fine now. I just seem to be unable to remove ESET completely (or at least the keys) - there was no uninstall file and so I had to do it through Control Panel - Programs and Features. It went halfway through uninstall and then it said
"Could not delete key \Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000103\Profiles\@My profile. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel."
So I selected "ignore" to finish the uninstall.
Should I do anything about those keys that could not be removed? Should I install the newer version of ESET now?
(Note: now I'm running Windows Firewall.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users