Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft security essentials

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cathryn2

Cathryn2

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I have At&T U verse for internet connection. They offered Free Mcafee but said I must uninstall Microsoft security essentials first. Which I did, however everytime I tried to install it again, it keeps detecting Microsoft Security essentials. Ok I know better now, I DO NOT WANT MCAFEE, I want Mse back on here. However I am concerned that I have a Fake MSE in the registry somewhere. So I want to make sure before I do a Clean install.

Microsoft helped me & had me do all the steps listed below in Blue to completely remove it, but I still see the balloon saying MSE firewall off?
I uninstalled malwarebytes- comodo firewall, Everything, I plan to do a clean reinstall of that in seconds. I want to first make sure I am not Hijacked in some way.

Seems strange that Mse has not caught anything in months, Nor has Malwarebytes and yet I get infected anyway? Furthermore, Every time I try to update my Malwarebytes (says 14 days out of date) it Always wants me to completely reinstall the program! I know that is messed up.
This is a nightmare right now, this is my work computer, & do not have a lot of time. I want this all reinstalled (Except McAfee) but 1st want to make sure they are not getting mirrored before downloading agian & again.

Thank you

Below are the Microsoft steps they provided me.

Please follow steps mentioned below, as you can use batch file to remove previous version of Microsoft Security Essentials completely from your computer. I have attached the screen shots of troubleshooting steps.

Important: Please restart your computer after every step.

I have attached a text file, which will remove previous version of Microsoft Security Essentials, completely from your computer. This text file contains set of commands which will be executes automatically in background. You need to save this file as "mseremoval.bat" on desktop and run that batch file as per step 1.

Step 1: Remove registry entries using batch file

a. Right click on the attachment and select SaveAs.

b. In the File Name section, enter the name as "mseremoval.bat" with quotes

c. In the Save as type, select All Files and click Save.

d. Right click on mseremoval.bat and select Run.

e. A command prompt window will open and then close when the registry updates have completed, once this window closes you can delete the mseremoval.bat file that you created earlier in these steps

f. Try to install the Microsoft Security Essentials. If this does not resolve the issue, continue to the next step. I did not do this step

Please refer below mentioned images to see how to run batch file.

a.Open msremoval.txt text file attached in my email.

b. Select File> Save As option as in image below.

c. In the File Name section, enter the name as "mseremoval.bat" with quotes and click Save it on Desktop

d. Now double click batch file icon msremoval.

The icon will look like .

d. A command prompt window will open and then close when the registry updates have completed, once this window closes you can delete the mseremoval.bat file that you created earlier in these steps

e. Restart and check if the Microsoft Security Essentials is uninstalled.

Step 2: Use Live One care removal tool to remove One Care completely from your computer.

Click on the link mentioned below and Run removal tool.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

Restart and check if the Microsoft Security Essentials is uninstalled.

Step 3: Run root kit virus scans.

Click below link, "Download" and Run.

a. Run TDSKiller

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

b. Run Online Microsoft Safety Scanner (quick scan)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Restart and check if the Microsoft Security Essentials is uninstalled.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Baban

v-2babas@mssupport.microsoft.com

If you have any feedback about my service, you may send an email to my manager v-2vimen@mssupport.microsoft.com. My manager, Vineesh, would be very happy to receive your comments and suggestions.

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2012 - 12:10 PM.
Moved to Am I Infected from XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,808 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

<<However I am concerned that I have a Fake MSE in the registry somewhere. So I want to make sure before I do a Clean install.>>

If I understand correctly...this is a non-issue since a clean install of Windows...wipes out everything, by definition. Any previous Windows installation, including the registry, will be deleted if user does a clean install.

Louis

If your intent is NOT to do a clean install of Windows...please confirm exactly what you are talking about when you use the phrase "clean install."

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#3 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

No not clean install of windows, Sorry. I meant that I want to install Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Comodo firewall Fresh.
However, I want to make sure that I do not have fake in the registry somewhere. After a 12 hours scan from Online Microsoft Safety Scanner, & numerous removals, it still is showing the balloon.

I do believe that there are Fakes in my computer or registry somewhere. Example:
Malwarebytes always make me reinstall a new copy vs update.
And Mse never cathes anything. That being said, if Microsoft had me do all these steps & my computer is Still detected MSE, then I am thinking there is a fake copy in here. Sorry about the Bold font, trying get rid of that too!

#4 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

http://photobucket.com/MicroSoftSecurityEssentials

I have attached a JPG file from MS Paint. I have read on the internet that Microsoft Security Essentials was attacked with a Fake version. I must have that fake version. How can I ever reinstall if it is Hijacked? I removed everything , I cannot get this out, I want to install it again but not until I am sure there is not a fake on here. I am now without any protection,

Has anyone read about a fake Mse and how to check for it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users