Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MY D: drive is empty

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

My D: drive is empty. Is tbis a normal condition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

It depends on how the D: drive is designed to function on the hard drive, so we would need additional information about the various drives on your computer,as well as the manufacturer. Some computers, for example, reserve the D: drive for the necessary data to restore your PC to its original condition.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

and some are like mine ,the D:/ is a dvdrom

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

See if you can post a screenshot from Disk Management...reflecting all drives.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

And...some background facts would help. What led up to this particular scenario?

Louis

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

I previously had a Windows 8 partition. Somehow it disappeared. I don't really understand what happened. I also had some weird E: drive which has now become D:. Someone told me earlier that it was actually a partition of the C: drive. The D: drive which I thought was used for recovery is now gone. Attached is the screenshot you requested.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,173 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

When partitions/files start disappearing...IMO, it's probably an indication that the hard drive or the partition structure has problems.

I suggest that you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the 40GB drive.

Drive letters are basically for reference only...booting into Windows will always reflect the Windows partition as C:, no matter how many other partitions or Windows installs may be on the system.

Who is the manufacturer of the 40GB drive?

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

I already have Speccy installed on my system. The complete image is pretty big and won't fit in a single screenshot. Which section would you like to see? There is no 40gb drive on my system. You are probably looking at the 39mb drive/partition, whatever it is. The manufacturer of the system is Dell. I just noticed this situation today. I have several recent backups. Perhaps I should restore the most recent one.

Richie

Edited by richierein, 27 May 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,173 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

<<I already have Speccy installed on my system. The complete image is pretty big and won't fit in a single screenshot.>>

Please...if you read the directions I posted...for publishing a Speccy report...you would realize that the result of following those instructions is a link. The instructions do not indicate any cutting/pasting is desired or required.

I suggest that you explicitly follow the directions provided for publishing a snapshot.

Louis

#9 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

FAT is still used in hard drives expected to be used by multiple operating systems. I imagine it's left over from having installed win8. Why win8 is gone, I don't know. If you want to run a beta os like 8 use VirtualBox

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Then you won't have to worry about that happening again.

#10 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Take a look at the attached screenshot. 50gb was originally allocated to the Windows 8 partition. Notice that the unallocated space is probably equal to the 50gb + whatever was allocated to D: I will send you the screenshot of Speccy later. I'm pressed for time now. It looks like when Windows 8 was removed, D: went with it.

Edited by richierein, 28 May 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#11 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jNXwNdfMm6zDa7tn0qQNC3a

I think this is the Speccy you requested.

Richie

#12 Johnstone_01

Johnstone_01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Are you certain you have files on the HD to begin with? If so anything important that you wish to recover?

#13 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yes, I'm sure. I posted a screnshot showing the D: drive here last week.

#14 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Also, Windows 7 doesn't function well without it.

#15 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

I had a long conversation with Dell. They told me I was given some incorrect information regarding the removal of the Window 8 CP partition and that is what led to the loss of a functioning D: drive. They told me the ONLY way the system can be recovered is to reset to factory conditions; that there is no way the D: drive can be recovered; meaning I will lose all of my programs. Unfortunately, I had made an error in backing up my system and the D; drive was not included. It looks like I have a very big job in front of me. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know soon.

Edited by richierein, 28 May 2012 - 11:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users