Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot up, not even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Imaloser

Imaloser

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hello. I'm having some problems with my PC, appreciate any help.

When I started my computer today, it got passed the windows logo screen and keeps bringing me to a screen that lets me choose between booting up in:
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
restart manually
last known good configuration

not matter what I pick, whenever it goes passed the windows logo, I still get the same screen w/list of choices

I am running on a HP pavilion mx70. windows xp

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. :)

Here is a snapshot of the blue screen

Posted Image

Edited by Imaloser, 24 May 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#4 Computer Security

Computer Security

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME, there seems to be a corrupted data and can be fix by running CHKDSK at the recovery console (most of the time)

If you can't boot any of the options as you said above, use your windows installation CD to boot. If you don't have the CD, you can download and burn this recovery console (yes, you need another PC for you to burn this one).

Once you boot your PC on CD, allow it to run until it reaches the Welcome Setup screen.
From there you can press R.
It will ask you which Windows instillation, if you have only 1, press 1
It will ask for an administrator password, if you don't have, simply press ENTER
Then, run;

CHKDSK C: /R

I like the /R parameter because it thoroughly checks the entire hard disk, but can take a long time.

If you want to just fix what's corrupted, you can run;

CHKDSK C: /F

By the way, I just joined here and I'm not sure if there is detailed instructions on this particular problem. Probably there is, but I not very familiar with the forum, yet. Newbie, so to speak :)

Edited by Computer Security, 25 May 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

Computer Security is quite correct in saying that chkdsk will usually fix disk file-system corruption that often results in the STOP 0xED error. Although the posted instructions may be all you need, I will nevertheless post my usual fix for this BSOD error.

*** If you have an XP installation CD, proceed straight to the second step. ***

:step1: If you do not have an XP installation CD, using a working computer, create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick the appropriate selection, for example: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    • ( Replace "Windows Professional SP2 & SP3" with the OS required. <<< IMPORTANT)
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft: Please accept.
  • You will see a few DOS screens flash by: This is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files: Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD, to make a bootable CD.

(The ISO file is located on your Desktop.)
:step2: On the ailing computer, run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console to repair the file system.
  • Insert an XP installation CD or the newly created XP Recovery Console CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
    This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
  • Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

Thank you both for the reply. I have burned the files onto a CD and when I insert it into the ailing computer, it still brings me to the black screen w/list of boot choices. I have tried adjusted the boot order in the bios menu(changing each to #1 and saving), but i'm unable to boot the CD. The ailing computer has a "hp cd-writer" and "dvd-rom" drives, I put the CD in the DVD rom drive since the cd writer wont seem to open.

Posted Image

Edited by Imaloser, 25 May 2012 - 02:51 AM.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

The ATAPI CD-ROM device needs to be first in the list .... and make the Other Boot Device last in the list.

If you need to open the CD-ROM drive, use a straightened paper clip pushed into the small hole in the front facia of the drive panel. You may need to use that drive if it won't boot from the DVD drive.

You wrote: "I have burned the files onto a CD"
How did you do this, and what did you download and use to burn the CD? If you have not done this correctly, then the CD will not be bootable. If you used the method that I provided, then the CD should be bootable.

Edited by AustrAlien, 25 May 2012 - 03:00 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

The ATAPI CD-ROM device needs to be first in the list .... and make the Other Boot Device last in the list.

If you need to open the CD-ROM drive, use a straightened paper clip pushed into the small hole in the front facia of the drive panel. You may need to use that drive if it won't boot from the DVD drive.

You wrote: "I have burned the files onto a CD"
How did you do this, and what did you download and use to burn the CD? If you have not done this correctly, then the CD will not be bootable. If you used the method that I provided, then the CD should be bootable.

I have placed ATAPI CD-ROM as #1 and other boot devices last.

Sorry about the last bit, I should have explained further.

I inserted a blank CD into a different working computer and downloaded ARCDC. Followed the instructions and at the end of the setup, it asked me to burn the files onto a blank CD and selected OK.

Now I went right ahead and placed that CD into the hp cd-writer drive of the ailing computer(it opens now, sometimes it doesnt) but now it directs me to a black screen with the words "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: No Emulation" written on it, and a flashing dash sign right beneath the words.

Edited by Imaloser, 25 May 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

... a black screen with the words "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: No Emulation" written on it, and a flashing dash sign ...

All good: It is trying to ... and should now ... boot from the CD, if the CD is bootable!

Since it is not booting from the CD, it would seem that the CD is not bootable. What could have gone wrong ???
  • Did the burning process complete successfully?
  • Are you burning to a new blank CD-R, or are you attempting to use a re-writable CD-RW?
  • Can you test that the CD is bootable by attempting to boot from it with another computer?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 th3p00r

th3p00r

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

is the file has an .iso extension? if so, what software did you try to burn it? You should get imgburn and select write image file disc.

#11 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

... a black screen with the words "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: No Emulation" written on it, and a flashing dash sign ...

All good: It is trying to ... and should now ... boot from the CD, if the CD is bootable!

Since it is not booting from the CD, it would seem that the CD is not bootable. What could have gone wrong ???
  • Did the burning process complete successfully?
  • Are you burning to a new blank CD-R, or are you attempting to use a re-writable CD-RW?
  • Can you test that the CD is bootable by attempting to boot from it with another computer?

I ejected the disc when ARCDC read complete and it was a new blank CD. I have looked at the files on the CD using a diff computer, all the files(?) seem to be there. Posted Image

Posted Image

I will get a hold of some more blank CDs and attempt to run ARCDC again. I will update you to see if that works.

Thank you for all your all so far.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Give that a try, but the creation of the CD by ARCDC is usually flawless, so I have to suspect some other problem with the system.

About the only other things I can think of is that the CD drive is not reading the disk (a problem with the disk drive) or that having two optical drives attached to the system is creating a problem. I suggest that you disconnect one of the optical drives and attempt to boot the CD with the one connected drive. If that doesn't work, disconnect the first optical drive that you tested, connect the other one, and attempt to boot the CD with that.

*** Before touching anything inside the box, ensure all power is OFF and ground yourself by touching the bare metal box. ***

To disconnect an optical drive, all you need do is remove the power connector: There is no need to remove the data cable connection, which is usually more difficult to remove/replace.

It would be useful to be able to test that the CD is actually bootable on another system, so that you know in which direction to look for the problem.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

I re ran ARCDC and burned the files onto a new new. No luck getting that to work on the ailing computer.

*** Before touching anything inside the box, ensure all power is OFF and ground yourself by touching the bare metal box. ***

To disconnect an optical drive, all you need do is remove the power connector: There is no need to remove the data cable connection, which is usually more difficult to remove/replace.

It would be useful to be able to test that the CD is actually bootable on another system, so that you know in which direction to look for the problem.

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I do this?

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'm not sure which of the quoted statements you are asking about?
The 3 statements all refer to different and separate procedures.
Please clarify.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm not sure which of the quoted statements you are asking about?
The 3 statements all refer to different and separate procedures.
Please clarify.

oh im sorry. how do I disconnect the optical by removing the power connector? i'm afraid i may mess something up when opening up the pc.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users