Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device not recognized in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jasor31385

Jasor31385

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hello.

I am trying to connect a Blue Snowball USB Microphone to record stuff with but when I plug it into the USB port it doesn't work. Windows recognizes the device and starts trying to install the drivers but then it fails and gives no explanation. In Device Manager it shows up as "Blue Snowball" but has a yellow exclamation point next to it. When I click on it and try to install drivers it says that there are no drivers available. The light is on the device so it's getting power. I checked their troubleshooting guide and turned the USB cord in the other direction. I've restarted my computer a few times, all to no avail. I am using USB 2.0 ports and my OS is Windows 7 - Professional 32-bit.

I consider the sound card but I can play music and use skype (if I connect a 3.5mm POS microphone to the back) just fine.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Blue Snowball should install with no additional drivers. Try on another pc. Possible bad device

Edited by JColt, 24 May 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#3 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thank you for the response.

Tried on another computer, works fine. I should also indicate that the USB port itself works fine. All other devices are working (mouse, speakers, wireless card, etc.) it is only the microphone that's having trouble on this PC.

Edited by Jasor31385, 24 May 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#4 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Try updating motherboard drivers from manufacturers website. Another thing you can try - Go to hardware and delete the device. Keep plugged in and reboot. Let windows find and install.

#5 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

I checked for motherboard updates and I am current right now. When I deleted the device from the device manager and rebooted it didn't try to install it again. I checked device manager again and it's back where it was. I don't understand why it knows it's called "Blue Snowball" yet it doesn't know how to make it work.

I had a similar problem on another PC that never got resolved with a different USB microphone. I assumed it was because the other microphone was suited for Vista and not Windows 7. This Snowball mic claims to be compatible with Windows 7...

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,937 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

WinDOZE Compatibility Center sez it's incompatible :whistle:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Blue%20Microphones%20Snowball%20Headset&v=Blue%20Microphones&uid=4911SBBN&l=en-US&pf=0&pi=7&c=Communications%20Devices&sc=Headsets&os=64-bit

You have 7 Pro, maybe it will install/work correctly in XP Mode? :blink:

#7 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

Union, wow the compatibility center could be right. I was basing my thoughts on compatibility from: http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/

It says system requirements: Windows 7

I'll try running in XP mode and see if it works.

#8 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

It looks like I am not able to run in XP Mode. I checked the havdetectiontool.exe given on the microsoft website and it says that it's not enabled. I checked the BIOS but didn't see any option to turn it on.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,937 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

>>>...I checked the havdetectiontool.exe given on the microsoft website and it says that it's not enabled. I checked the BIOS but didn't see any option to turn it on.<<<

What is the make/model of your PC?

I saw this on the Snowball FAQ's: http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/#/faq/

Is the Snowball compatible with Windows 7 and Vista?

Snowballs manufactured after July, 2007 (with serial numbers higher than 76-065000) are 7 and Vista compatible. Snowballs with numbers lower than this are not Windows 7 or Vista compatible.

#10 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

I am on a dell emachines (produced late last year) and I bought the snowball from the manufacturer brand new just last week -- I assume it was made after 2007. Will verify when I get off work.

#11 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

OK, just verified. This is manufactured in 2009 so I am thinking I am clear on that particular front.

I'm at a loss here. It couldn't be the sound card, right? Does that have anything to do with recording?

#12 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

Since most here probably don't own this hardware you may want to contact company for help. Normal fixes are not working. Could be an oddball microphone/soundcard issue.

Blue Phone Support
9am - 5pm PST
Monday through Friday

Phone: 818-879-5200

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,937 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

What is the make/model of your PC?

I am on a dell emachines...

Posted Image Posted Image

What JColt said. Meanwhile take a look at this thread, it may be useful.Posted Image

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

#14 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

I ran into the same thread in my searches...the high gain update didn't work out. I'm not sure why, but it would not install properly.

I emailed the customer service at Blue but they've yet to get back to me.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate that you tried.

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,937 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

You're welcome, it's been my pleasure. At this point it's apparent your permanent answer will have to come from Blue, keep after them.

I still think a temporary solution would be to run XP mode...a few people mentioned on that thread I linked to that it worked, but it's still unclear whether your processor supports Virtual Tech or not--your answer-- >>>...I checked the havdetectiontool.exe given on the microsoft website and it says that it's not enabled....<<< seemed to indicate that it might but isn't enabled in the BIOS...or not >>> I checked the BIOS but didn't see any option to turn it on<<<

If it's an Intel processor you could run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility or check the Intel® Virtualization Technology List If you own a valid XP license/ install Media you could run it in VMWare or VirtualBox, but that would still hinge upon your machine supporting VT.

Hope this helps, good luck & let us know of any progress/resolution.

Regards, U_T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users