Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Compatible With Webroot?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:10 PM

I bought a new computer a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had any problems with malware. The computer came installed with Norton Internet Security. I haven't had much experience with Norton and was wondering if it would be okay to use other spyware protection such as Webroot Spysweeper.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WlkingMan

WlkingMan

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

Yes, in fact, everything exept other anti-virus applications will work fine. Certain spyware programs may cause a few minor problems. Such as SpyBot Search and Destroy, and Adware: They will pick up each others quarentined items. Other then that, you should be fine.

If anything, we highly recommend using multiple anti spyware/malware apps.

As for the non-compatible anti-virus apps, they are only incompatable do to the fact that most, like Norton, use live protection, and will cause errors when they run at the same time.

Edited by WlkingMan, 27 February 2006 - 08:20 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

http://www.shotmycomputer.net/

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hi PCIlliterateGal, I would recommend you read thru these topics:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3096/purpose-of-and-how-to-use-this-forum/

The pinned topics here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

Especially these

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/841/best-practices-pc-worlds-avoid-viruses-scams/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

Well he is my two .
I would recommend uninstalling Norton also. It is known to be a resource hog. There are several excellent freeware antivirus programs. You should also be running a firewall along with all of the antispyware your system will support (Within reason). Pre-install some of the online scans. It is going to be rough enough if you get a virus without the impossible task of installing software once infected.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Presonal Firewall 5.6 (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:43 PM

I have to agree with acklan about removing NIS/NAV. If it came preinstalled, it is a trial version that will expire in 3 to 6 months (it varies with some vendors). After that you will have to pay a subscription fee to obtain the updates or remove it and get another anti-virus program.

In addition to being a resource hog, NIS will significantly slow your browsing speed if you use a dial-up.

One thing to keep it mind, is that Norton can be hard to remove if its not done properly. If you plan on removing it make sure you read and follow these instructions.
How to Remove Norton Products
Removing NAV 2004 or later using SymNRT

These instructions will advise you to remove related Symantec files and folders after the uninstall as well as deleting numerous registry entries. Make sure you back up your registry before doing so.
BACKUP, EDIT & RESTORE REGISTRY
BACKUP, EDIT & RESTORE REGISTRY by Microsoft

acklan, it appears Microsoft has either removed or redirected all the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta links to Windows Defender Beta 2. The Defender FAQs tell how to uninstall it but there is no provision for downloading and reinstalling MSAS beta unless the user saved the setup program on their hard drive or a CD.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for pointing that out.

#7 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:31 AM

Thanks everybody! :thumbsup:

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:46 AM

:thumbsup: What did you decide??

#9 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

I'm not sure if this is a trial version of Norton. If it is, I think i'll keep it until the trial expires...though I'm not sure the pre-installed firewall is doing any good. It might be, but who knows. I'll probably install Spybot and Ad-aware.

#10 WlkingMan

WlkingMan

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

When you say pre-installed firewall, are you referring to the windows firewall? If so then your presumption would be correct. You would be better off getting another one such as Zone - Alarm, and dissabling windows' firewall.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

http://www.shotmycomputer.net/

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

PCIlliterateGal is using Norton Internet Security so she is probably referring to its bundled personal firewall, which in addition to being a resource hog, is not friendly with a dial-up connection.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

I'm not sure if this is a trial version of Norton. If it is, I think i'll keep it until the trial expires...though I'm not sure the pre-installed firewall is doing any good. It might be, but who knows. I'll probably install Spybot and Ad-aware.

It is very important to know if you have an active antivirus on your computer. If it has expired you are unprotected. It is not as important that you use Norton or another antivirus, but that the program's definions are up to date. Expired antivirus will give you a false sence of security.
The firewall will stop malware from communicating your data to a remote server. Believe it or not it is a very big deal to have an effective firewall that blocks both inbound and outbound traffic that you have not authorized.
I know I sounds like a broken record but the security should be layered, and the thicker the layer is the more insulated you will be

You><Anitvirus><Antispyware-As much as your resoruces can stand><Good House Keeping><Firewall><Internet

I know it may not seem so but it is a big deal. It's only overkill if you never need it.

#13 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Believe it or not it is a very big deal to have an effective firewall that blocks both inbound and outbound traffic that you have not authorized.

Does the NIS firewall do that? I had ZoneAlarm on my old computer and it blocked a lot of stuff. I really can't tell with the Norton firewall. I don't see a log of blocked traffic or anything.

Right now I'm not really worried about it being a resource hog...and I don't have dial-up. Hasn't caused any problems yet.

I'm pretty sure my anti-virus hasn't expired...it says it has 60 days of complimentary live updates. That means it's a 60-day trial, right?

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 08 March 2006 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users