Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer not starting up and shutting down properly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nolegirl

nolegirl

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

My computer only runs in safe mode. I have had to restart it a million times by holding the on/off button which i never do to shut it down. It gets stuck on start up or shut down. I can't go on internet or do scans for viruses it stops half way and stops responding. I am running scans in safe mode because it's the only way. I can go on internet fine in safe mode and do most scans but that's about it. please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Any onscreen error messages? Verbatim, please.

What changes were made...circa the time when problems first developed?

Louis

#3 nolegirl

nolegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

No error messages and I did not add or download anything . Now I'm running scans in safe mode and its freezing up there too.

Thanks for your response =)

#4 nolegirl

nolegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

It won't let me exit out of anything even use task manager to shut the scan down

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

OK, thanks :).

My first thought is overheating...or hard drive problemws...but that's pure speculation at this point.

If you have access to a second system or hard drive...the first thing I suggest is attempting to move valued data files from the drive.

If possible, please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#6 nolegirl

nolegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

It keeps crashing when it starts to run I will try again though

#7 nolegirl

nolegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Keeps crashing

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Forget the Speccy...I suggest connecting it to a second system and trying to move valued data files.

Exactly what is happening when you say it "crashes"? Does the system turn off...does the system reboot...exactly what happens?

Louis

#9 nolegirl

nolegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

It just freezes up during the scan I tried spybot it ran through once and found a lot but frooze when I hit fix

#10 nolegirl

nolegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Doesn't turn off just stays on that screen

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

If you have moved valued files from the hard drive...then it would probably be wise to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, IMO.

Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive? You can find this info by physically looking at the drive.

Once the manufacturer is known, download, prepare, and run the diagnostic, following guidance from the hard drive manufacturer.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users