Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing a Power-on password?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

My daughter just gave me her old computer. She put in a power on password and while I do know what it is, I would like to know how to remove that as it's a pain for me to mess with constantly.
Computer is running:
Windows 98
Second Edition
4.10.2222 A

Let me know if you need any other information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

Sometimes if you just PRESS RETURN for the password it deletes it...

Have you tried that??

#3 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Not sure what you mean by "return". I have tried 'enter' and 'backspace' and they don't do anything. I need to actually go in and disable the password mode.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'm trying to work out what this power on password is. There can be a BIOS password but you only need that if you enter the BIOS.

When you install Win98 there is an option to use a password to login to Windows thats where you don't type anything in just press enter and it never asks for it again. Now this password is store in a file in the Windows folder but I can't remember the exact name of it at the moment, it has a *.pwl extension. If you start the computer up while holding the Ctrl key down you will see the boot menu, Select Command Prompt Only. Type in cd windows and enter (this changes to the Windows folder) then type in DIR *.pwl that will list all files in that folder with a pwl extension there is only one normally.

You can either rename that file e.g. ren user.pwl user.txt and press enter or you can delete it del *.pwl and press enter. Then restart the computer.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,478 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

This may be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257485
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may btn_donate_SM.gif
Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

#6 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

I do know what the password is, I am not locked out of the computer. I would just prefer not having to go through this every time I want to use the computer.

#7 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,478 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

follow the instructions here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152104
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may btn_donate_SM.gif
Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

#8 lti

lti

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

That is not a Windows password. That password needs to be disabled in the BIOS. The procedure is different depending on which BIOS you have.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,749 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

If you post which model of Compaq you have we could be more specific.

However in general you need to go into the bios and clear the password settings.

There is another way but you would need to know if there are any special settings needed in the bios as it would reset them back to defaults. This requires some minor disassembly presuming it to be a desktop. A laptop would be totally different.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

111 @ October 19

#10 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

If you post which model of Compaq you have we could be more specific.

However in general you need to go into the bios and clear the password settings.

There is another way but you would need to know if there are any special settings needed in the bios as it would reset them back to defaults. This requires some minor disassembly presuming it to be a desktop. A laptop would be totally different.

Cheers
Roger

How do I find which model it is? And, do you need that before you can help me get into the bios to clear those settings? And, yes...this is a desktop comp. Minor disassembly would not be a good option for me, however, so I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

thanks

Edited by wicky, 23 May 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,749 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Usually the model is right on the front. The reason for asking the model is to be able to find the exact bios setting you need.

The disassembly referred to is taking off the side and clearing the CMOS, usually a jumper. However There is always a minor risk that you can damage something that way by bumping it.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

111 @ October 19

#12 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Renaissance? I think that's what it says...it's very small writing.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,749 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Sorry I should have mentioned that on a desktop it is usually on the front and on a laptop there should be a model number.

In either case it usually has the form such as NC6000 ( A Compaq laptop) SR1010V which is a Compaq Desktop. and they may say Presario too.

111 @ October 19

#14 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Please accept my apologies for barging in, but the easiest way I know to find Manufacturer and Model # is as follows, unless it is different in Win98:

Click Start button > right click My Computer in Start Menu then click Properties in the list.

On the Systems page look under System. There you should find everything you need to know about the system.

Edited by DonnaB, 24 May 2012 - 05:39 PM.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy ribbon.jpg

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#15 Computer Security

Computer Security

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Posted Image

I do know what the password is, I am not locked out of the computer. I would just prefer not having to go through this every time I want to use the computer.

This can be disabled through CMOS/BIOS setup. I cannot tell the detailed in the menu where, but look somewhere at the security section. There should be something that tells require password on boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users