Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random shut down of Computer while gaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Monger

Iron Monger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Like the title says, my computer randomly shuts off while running games. First noticed while experimenting with Aion, a few days later it also occurs with Star Wars: The Old Republic, something it hadn't done before.

The program files don't include any duplicate files (which I thought may be a problem. Aion did have a duplicate initially, and the deletion of this file appeared to fix the problem, though it returned the next day.)

Further research has indicated that the CPU maybe overheating, or the the PSU is failing. I'm not "techy" enough to know if it is the PSU, so I thought I'd ask for help.

Additionally, when the computer shuts down, there is no warning, just a black screen and then the keyboard lights and fans stop running roughly 5s afterwards.

Attached is the Speccy file of my computer's current state.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Iron Monger

Iron Monger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thanks, sorry for being a total noob. (Hope this is what you meant.)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IFnGaaHHCLXeMUwliAAlXtV

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Your computer is way to hot, you need to keep it cooler.

#5 Iron Monger

Iron Monger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

So how would I keep it cooler? It stays on a flat surface most of the time, the fans are constantly running while gaming (and they point out the back of the unit, not the bottom.)

Ran a few other programs on it today, updated drivers and the like, and the "shutdown" has yet to reoccur since then, but that may be unrelated.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Can you take a picture of where your computer is located and post it?

#7 Iron Monger

Iron Monger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

It's a laptop on a TV tray. Not a whole lot to it, to be honest.

The heat readings are likely high due to the 2 hour play time I had undergone previous to the Speccy, since I wanted to make it as accurate as possible. That said, I updated a few drivers in my system, including graphics, sound, etc. and haven't had the problem since, so I'm thinking that the issue may be resolved. Still, thank you for your swift response and help. I do appreciate it.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

You welcome, and I would recommend keeping it cleaned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users