Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 custer

custer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi, thanks for any help i may get..

I have Vista 64 and when i try to move my icons on the desktop they all move back in a row when i click 'refresh' for the dekstop or when i reboot. Also i keep the setting for the size on Classic instead of Medium or Large, and when i reboot it reverts back to Medium size icons everytime, but if i click 'refresh' it keeps the CLassic size for them, only changed on reboot.

i did run Eset online scanner and it is finding nothing. i am completely puzzled by this and cannot figure out what to try next.

any help would be much appreciated..

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Right click a blank part of the desktop, go to "View" and remove the checkmark from "Auto arrange" and "Align to grid".

You can make icons larger or smaller by holding down CTRL while you move the mousewheel backwards and forwards.

#3 custer

custer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

hi...

yes, i tried that and the icons will move and stay until i rt click and click refresh or reboot, the icons go right back in column. its almost like the align to grid is checked even though it isnt.

also, like i posted above, the icon size is changing on reboot, i always have it on Classic and for some reason it goes to Medium on reboot.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Did you install any new software prior to this problem occurring?

#5 custer

custer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

no, nothing new at all. prior to this i was getting a svchost.exe not responding error. i figured i had a virus of sort. So i ran Eset online scanner, it did find a win64/sirefef W and win64/sirefef T, so i had it remove it.. When all was rebooted, i ran Combofix and it rebooted the machine and then finished.. When it finished my Icons where a bigger size and aligned in the left of screen, so i thought my display got reset and went into display and started changing resolutions,i got back onto my current and previous resolution (by checking it on a 2nd user on my PC) so im sure it is now the same as before. BUt, since then, im having the trouble stated.

Also, i created a 2nd Administrator account on this PC and went into the desktop and changed the size to classic and moved icons around and then clicked refresh, and it is totally fine on that account. Also i have a regular user account the is also fine and showing any of the problems that i have posted. So this seems to be specific to this account only..

again, thank u for your time and any help i appreciate.

forgot to add in > i did run Eset online scan again (as i originally posted, and it finds nothing)

Edited by custer, 12 May 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

You can maybe try this utility: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout-in-windows-vista/

#7 custer

custer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

k, thank you.. any idea of what would cause this problem ?

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Run this Rootkit scanner: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.aspx

This is because the virus you removed with the online scanner also incorporates a rootkit which might have escaped its attention.

Edited by Xircal, 12 May 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#9 custer

custer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

k, thank you..
it did find Mal/fakeAvCn-B and Mal/Java-Gen-A however, i didnt remove them yet cause i figured i would post over in the malware removal forum just to make sure im taking the correct steps here...

i thank you for the help

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,605 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Hello, please add the Sophos log to the Malware Removal topic.
We DO NOT remove Rootkits here in Vista,

Please also add a DDS log to this one.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453480.html/page__p__2697526#entry2697526

Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic thanks.
If GMER won't run skip it and move on.

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

The current wait time is 1 - 5 days and ALL logs are answered.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users