Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotspot - no internet access

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tweener

Tweener

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have a Compaq Presario CQ56 laptop. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 with IE9. When I am at my adult education classes I can connect to the facility's wireless guest hotspot, but IE9 doesn't open with the login page that asks for acceptance of the user agreement. The wireless notification icon shows connected with no internet access. The first time I connected to the hotspot I was presented with a public or private choice by Windows and I made it public of course.

Any ideas on fixing this situation?
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Retired

• Members
  • 9,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi -
Were you ever able to fully connect to the guest hotspot when you started there ?
If you were, have you changed / added / or had problems with anything since you last connected ?

Thank You -

#3 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

SOLVED

Here is the workaround. Connect to the hotspot and ignore "no internet access". If the balloon pops up informing authentication is required click it to open IE, if not just open IE manually. It will try to load a page but fail. Open the favorites list and click on any favorited link - this will trigger the hotspot's login page.

In answer to the question in the last post: No, I had never successfully connected to it with anything but my Kindle, which worked flawlessly BTW. Ah Windows - gotta love it.
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users