Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

I relocated my default profile from C: to H: and would like to delete the files in C:\Users\Richard. However, some files remain open by Windows Explorer even after a restart an cannot be deleted. Why does Windows Explorer still have these files open? They are all contained in Appdata and below on C:\Users\Richard\Appdata. I tried using UnlockIt but it didn't work.

Appdata > Local >Microsoft > Skydrive > 16.4.3347.0416_4 > *.dll
Appdata > Roaming > Dropbox > bin > *.dll

Edited by richierein, 08 May 2012 - 04:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

A Live Linux CD can do the job. I suggest using Ubuntu 10.04.4 if you don't already have a Live CD.
The reason for using 10.04.4 instead of the latest 12.04 is because I have had a few problems with
older comps and 12.04. No problems with 10.04.4.

You do not need to install Ubuntu. It will run from the CD-ROM and RAM.
Direct download link: PC (Intel x86) desktop CD

Good info here on how to make a CD and edit files in Windows.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hello richierein,

What method did you use to move your default profile. Did you use right clicking certain folders and selecting properties then change the default location or registry edit, or did you create a NTFS junction point? There a number of different methods with each giving different results.

#4 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi,

I backed it up using Acronis. Then restored it to the alternate drive. Then restarted.

Richie

#5 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Richierein,

The User profile is a system's folder and its location is hard coded into the registry. Many system services and programs just blindly attempt to write to that location by design. So, changing the User profile location can be risky but it is possible. There are a great number of methods each with its own caveats.

One method is to use , the way I do it, is with Windows Explorer and right clicking each profile folder, and changing their location from the location tab. This only works on most of the profile folders, but not all. Like the appdata folder you mentioned in your post can't be moved this way. IMHO this is the safest way.

A second method is by copying the Default profile and Public profile folders to a new location and making a registry edit. This works best right after an install with a fresh profile. I have never tried this method, so I cannot vouch for the type of results you may encounter.

See this link for a how to Second Method.

The third method I came across involves using file system level redirection and NTFS symbolic link. Also, I have never tried this method either.

See this link for a how to Third method.Very interesting read.

If you want everything moved and you got a well developed profile you might want to look into this method. Simply backing up the profile and restoring to a new location will not work because the system still thinks that the profile folders are still in their default location and will try to wirte to them.

Hope this helps.

#6 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi Everready,

I did not read the detail of your post but I used method #2. I copied everything to the new location and made the appropriate registry edit as described in the Windows Seven Forum. I deleted the remaining contents of the old location by booting Ubuntu on my CD as described earlier in this thread. Everything is working fine now. The only specific other modifications was to re-install some applications that used the old location without concern for the default profile location.

Richie

#7 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thats great, I'll have to give that method a try one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users