Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It says: System Error. Hard disc failure detected

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 marshawk

marshawk

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

I was googling for information on Internet Explorer and trying to print some of it from a website. I couldn’t get it to print and suddenly a box popped up :

Windows has lost access to the system partition during I/O process. This may also lead to a potential loss of data. It’s highly recommended to run complete HDD scan to prevent loss of files, applications and documents stored on your computer.

Scan and repair (recommended)
Prevents potential disks failure and loss of data.

Scan later
Restart required

See details

This is on an hp 530 laptop running Vista. I watched as my desktop icons disappeared. First to go was Malwarebytes. The only ones remaining are: Computer, Network and Recycle Bin. There are a bunch of windows stacked up on top of each other that I cannot read as the main popup box hides them. Something about “media or read/write error.” I have not clicked on it. I immediately tried to open Task Manager to shut down the popup but Task Manager will not open. I am not sure I can open anything on my laptop and am using another PC to communicate with you.

This is where I scream "HELP!"
Thanks for listening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Reboot the PC to safemode with networking

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-hdd

Follow this guide.Let me know if it worked

good luck

#3 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I think I can follow that. My screen doesn't look exactly like the examples, if that matters. I won't have a chunk of time till later tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. I truly appreciate it.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

My screen doesn't look exactly like the examples

Probably

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-data-recovery

or

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Anyway the procedure is same.Let me know if you still have issues.

Press Windows+R key and type

%temp% and click ok

COpy the SMTMP folder to a safe location.Ignore it if you dont have one

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 06 May 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#5 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hello, I am back and it is not going so well. I am having problems running RKill, and have downloaded all of the other renamed versions of RKill from the rkill download page. Six of the renamed copies of RKill ended by saying “Processes terminated by Rkill while it was running (blank- nothing!) Rkill completed on (time and date)” So it appears nothing was terminated. The 7th renamed version (eXplorer) said for processes terminated c:\Users\(my name)\Desktop\eXplorer.exe Something is going on because it took a lot of time and tricks to get each version of Rkill to download to my desktop from the cd. Screens kept popping up which I ignored. What to do next? Proceed with TDSSKiller then MBAM?

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Boot the PC into safemode with networking

GO ahead and run MBAM and TDSSkiller

good luck

#7 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Will do, thank you!

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

You're welcome :)

#9 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Made it through every step just today. It went well and seemed good until I clicked on Outlook and a screen that I had a lot of trouble with during the removal process returned, saying: ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Sprint Some files are corrupted. Please reinstall ABBYY Sprint 9.0. I found during the removal process that if I got rid of this screen using Task Manager I could proceed with what I was trying to do, but I had to be quick. What is this and what do I do about it?

#10 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

By every step, I meant in the Smart HDD removal guide as suggested, including Rkill, TDSS, Malwarebytes and Unhide. Is ABBYY something legitamate that needs to be reinstalled?

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

ABBYY FineReader is legitimate,you can reinstall if you really need it

#12 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thank you. It pops up when I try to do anything microsoft related and of course I am afraid to download it without knowing more about it. I can't get into Outlook at all.

#13 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Well, I clicked on the box, it went away and I can get into Outlook. WHat does ABBYY Sprint do? Are you saying I may not need it then?

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Read this

http://askville.amazon.com/ABBYY-FineReader-Sprint-computer/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7076816

#15 marshawk

marshawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

narenxp you rock! :clapping: :thumbsup: Thank you so much for sticking it out with me. I had googled the ABBYY problem but was gunshy about clicking anywhere I didn't recognize. Control Panel gave me the opportunity to try to repair ABBYY but that failed so I did uninstall it. I scan some but don't usually make changes to what I have scanned so I'll probably never miss it. Thank you so much for giving so generously of your time to help people like me, trapped in the time-suckers of computer infection. Everything appears good to go now, :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users