Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What's on the menu today?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

This is a link to a video currently on BBC News which is rather comical. I do hope the zoo fed the poor animal later.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

lol thats funny.
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Many years ago, when my daughter was 3 or 4 years old, we visited the Cape May zoo, here in NJ. It's a small, but very well-run zoo.

As we were walking along the paved path we reached a (securely) fenced in tiger compound. The tiger was resting in the sun, in the grass at the corner of the compound. When my daughter reached the corner of the compound the tiger got up. And, as my daughter walked past, the tiger started walking along parallel to her, keeping its head turned and its eyes on her the whole time. The tiger only stopped when it reached the far corner of the fence, and then stood there watching as my daughter continued on.

I found it disturbing.

Edited by Capn Easy, 16 May 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Many years ago, when my daughter was 3 or 4 years old, we visited the Cape May zoo, here in NJ. It's a small, but very well-run zoo.

As we were walking along the paved path we reached a (securely) fenced in tiger compound. The tiger was resting in the sun, in the grass at the corner of the compound. When my daughter reached the corner of the compound the tiger got up. And, as my daughter walked past, the tiger started walking along parallel to her, keeping its head turned and its eyes on her the whole time. The tiger only stopped when it reached the far corner of the fence, and then stood there watching as my daughter continued on.

I found it disturbing.

I think that's just nature. Fully grown animals tend to attack the youngest of a particular breed because the latter offers less resistance. You see this all the time in nature films where any big cats such as lions are hunting Wildebeest for food. They separate the calf from its mother and attack that rather than deal with the larger animal. I would imagine that the calf will also be a lot tastier than a tough old adult.

There were no children around when this incident took place though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14229381

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

I love the Zoo. Have been to the Cape May also.. Mostly I go to the Bronx,Central Park and Staten Island zoos. In the Bronx Zoo I've slept over a few times with my kids (they have these offers for members).. Now I had no problem falling asleep there,but when a lion roared in the n middle of the night I was was wide awake right quick!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

I love the Zoo. Have been to the Cape May also.. Mostly I go to the Bronx,Central Park and Staten Island zoos. In the Bronx Zoo I've slept over a few times with my kids (they have these offers for members).. Now I had no problem falling asleep there,but when a lion roared in the n middle of the night I was was wide awake right quick!!

Sleep in a Zoo? In a hotel you mean, or just rent your own cage for the night? :lmao:

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,365 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

LOL,, Several groups get to do a Safari experience.. It's really cool. You sleep in small pup tents. They take you for a walk in the Zoo at night. I did it twice with the kids. Felt they would enjoy a bit more when they were early teens. They did!
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 586 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I think that's just nature. Fully grown animals tend to attack the youngest of a particular breed because the latter offers less resistance. You see this all the time in nature films where any big cats such as lions are hunting Wildebeest for food. They separate the calf from its mother and attack that rather than deal with the larger animal. I would imagine that the calf will also be a lot tastier than a tough old adult.

Oh, I know. It still bothered me that something was thinking about my daughter as "food."

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

Oh, I know. It still bothered me that something was thinking about my daughter as "food."

Yes, I can imagine. There was a case quite recently where a woman and and another family were allowed into a cage with captive cheetahs who were supposed to be tame, but they grabbed a child and when the woman tried to protect her, they turned on her as well. It was on BBCNews, don't know if you saw it.

#10 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

LOL,, Several groups get to do a Safari experience.. It's really cool. You sleep in small pup tents. They take you for a walk in the Zoo at night. I did it twice with the kids. Felt they would enjoy a bit more when they were early teens. They did!

Do they put the lights on, or do you have to grope around in the dark? It would make it much more authentic if you couldn't see where you were going.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,365 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yep it was dark .moonlight... We travalled with a safari guide. kids got lightsticks so we wouldn't lose them.

#12 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Yep it was dark .moonlight... We travalled with a safari guide. kids got lightsticks so we wouldn't lose them.

How big is that zoo then? Makes it sound like the Serengeti national park.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,365 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Well its 260 acres attached to the 260 acre NY Botanical Gardens/ its pretty big.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp=5&gs_id=f&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1257&bih=620&wrapid=tljp133747944095108&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bronx+zoo&fb=1&gl=us&hq=bronx+zoo&hnear=0x89c257608d1533d1:0x44b6ca6a1137bf87,Hoboken,+NJ&cid=0,0,2009425851498975985&ei=G1G4T6KHGbP06AHkzLC9Cg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CMQBEPwSMAA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users