Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Alternative to Norton Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 econguy

econguy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

My Norton Internet Security renewal is due soon, and I'm wondering if someone from Bleeping can suggest if there are better anti virus / anti spyware programs out there. I am running Windows XP on an older PC and Windows Vista on a 2008 laptop.
Thank you

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,926 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

After reading that, scroll down and read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

Response courtesy of quietman7

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hi
The only thing to remember is that Norton must be Fully removed Norton Removal Tool

Good luck -

Thank You -

- Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium Toshiba Laptop - Avant and user of Internet Explorer Browsers  - And I Use GOOGLE-

~ Remember to Press F5 as you may already have an answer waiting for you ..... If not .....The answer is always 42, or Reboot ~

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

For what it is worth....I also run xp on a 6 year old HP, and i am quite satisfied with the combination of Avira Free Antivirus and Malwarebytes Antimalware.
I run these as well as Win Patrol (also free), and CC Cleaner. I do not use the registry cleaner part of CC.
I also occasionally download secunia psi , in order to really make sure all programs are up to date. I do not leave secunia permanently installed as it appears to use quite a few resources.

Brian

Condobloke

Outback Australia.

The difference between a stupid man and a wise one is the stupid man’s inability to calculate the consequences of the action.

#5 econguy

econguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

This is all great information. I've been reading the posts on choosing an antivirus and malware/spyware software, and have found it all very informative and helpful. I've also been looking at the various suggested anti virus software website. I'll start with Brian's suggested suite of software. But the free versions give the impression that you are leaving large gaps in your protection (no email protection, no firewall, etc.). Is this true? Thanks again for all your help!! -Martin

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

I use Thunderbird email client......and make use of the "spam educator"......I find this to be sufficient for my needs.I also use Mozilla Firefox as my browser......i feel more secure using this as opposed to Internet Explorer. I also have the Windows firewall
turned on, and again, this keeps me feeling quite secure.
I do not use the paid version of Avira, although it is a very small outlay....i guess i am just a cheapskate...lol
Malwarebytes.......the main advantage of the paid version is that it gives you "always on" protection. I DO use the paid version. Brilliant program.
Twice i have been infected on my PC....and in both cases the fault lay with ME.....I clicked on a link in an email.....and i knew as soon as i did it ....that i should not have ! (Bleeping Computer came to the rescue both times)
So....this combination has served me well.
I also run a scan perhaps once a month with Eset online scanner,,,http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/....just for a little variety.
Best of luck,
Brian.

Condobloke

Outback Australia.

The difference between a stupid man and a wise one is the stupid man’s inability to calculate the consequences of the action.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

ps. As Noknojon stated earlier.....be SURE to Totally remove Norton, using the Norton Removal Tool.

Brian
Outback NSW
Australia

Condobloke

Outback Australia.

#8 Telekill

Telekill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Like Condobloke, I use both Malwarebytes and Avast (free versions) for real-time protection. I've had excellent results since I started using them. I'm usually careful about what I click on, but I've been directed away from potentially dangerous websites more than once.

Also, I would recommend installing Adblock Plus for your browser. Some ads have sneaky ways to trick you into clicking on things (e.g. the "x" icon is actually a link to a website), and I've heard that if a site is using a less-reputable ad service, there are some banners that can give you a virus even if you don't click on them.

But the free versions give the impression that you are leaving large gaps in your protection (no email protection, no firewall, etc.). Is this true?

I think they just want you to buy their software. Honestly, with the quality of free antivirus software available, I see no reason to "upgrade" to the pay versions.

Edited by Telekill, 27 April 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#9 econguy

econguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

All great info. Thanks again!!

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

I suggest avast! free antivirus. It comes with email, web, network, p2p, behavior and other kinds of protection. Besides it is a little less resource hungry than Avira.
For firewall you can use free Zonealarm or just use Windows firewall.

But as Animal mentioned above, it all depends on yours requirements, Windows version and hardware. One size does not fit all.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Choosing a Firewall
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#12 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'd say for anti-virus/anti-malware(as a real time solution), any one of these whichever seems better to you, since both are pretty good..
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast free

And in addition as an on-demand malware scanner...
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

For firewall, I'd say that the Windows firewall is enough if you are using Windows 7/Vista.

And XP's firewall isn't really bad either. But if you say otherwise try using the free version of either ZoneAlarm Firewall or Comodo Firewall.

On a personal note, I don't really recommend using a real-time anti-virus/anti-malware scanner. Instead I just have Malwarebytes installed as an on-demand scanner if I require it just in case and run weekly or bi-weekly system-wide scans using a good online scanner like the one from ESET - http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 08 May 2012 - 06:50 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users