Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long does it take ComboFix to run ??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Angela12345

Angela12345

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Combo fix has been running for over 3 hours so far. All I have showing is the black box that says Attempting to create a System Restore point. After that came up, it did give me the message about needing to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console. I clicked yes almost 3 hours ago. That message went away after I clicked yes and there has been no further change or messages since then. It never said that the Recovery Console was successfully installed and it has not moved on to scanning for infected files. P.S. I did do the step where I closed or disabled the firewalls and spyware utilities.

I found a combo fix instructions page on Bleeping Computer that goes into more details than the instructions I was given. It says ... "Please note, that once you start ComboFix you should not click anywhere on the ComboFix window as it can cause the program to stall. In fact, when ComboFix is running, do not touch your computer at all". I have not clicked anywhere near the combo fix screen and have not even clicked at all anywhere on the computer, except the Yes box to install the Recovery Console (I am replying right now from the iPad, not the infected computer).

However, this ThinkPad laptop is set so that after a certain amount of time, it will go to screen saver. I have wiggled the TrackPoint button to bring it out of screen saver a couple times while I have been waiting for the next Recovery Console message that I am supposed to click on to see if it has appeared yet. Would this stall combo fix ? I could set the computer so that it will not go to screensaver at all, so I will not have to even wriggle the TrackPoint to see the screen. (I do not have the version of TrackPoint where you can also use it to click, so there is no way to accidentally click with the TrackPoint. You must click a separate button in order to click on this laptop)

I am being helped by a member of the Malware Response Team. I am not going to do anything until he says to reboot or whatever. I am just curious If this could have caused a stall for combofix ? Also, how long does it usually take for ComboFix to fully run ?? Don't need an exact time ... just curious if I am in for 1 hour, 4 hours, 12 hours etc ? Or maybe a timespan like "usually 1-3 hours but can take up to 6 hours on rare occasions. Any longer than this and it is possible that ComboFix has stalled"..

Edited by Angela12345, 17 April 2012 - 01:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Please PM the Malware Team member helping you and advise them of this topic. They have more indepth knowledge of what may be taking place.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Angela12345

Angela12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I have already notified him in our thread. He was getting ready to go to sleep right about the time I was starting to run ComboFix, so likely he won't be back online for at least several more hours. I am not going to actually do anything without him telling me what to do. My questions were just general questions, so I would still appreciate a response if there is anyone who views this thread and may know the answers or have some insight. Thanks !!

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

CF runtimes vary. . . but it should never be close to this long.

Sounds like Combofix has hung. Just sit tight until Gringo gets back to you.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Angela12345

Angela12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Blade. Combofix had hung up. Ended up being a total of about 10 hours, but it would have only been 6.5 if I had not gone outside to mow the grass right as Gringo was responding to me, LOL. Had to clean some other things before we could try combofix again. Was MUCH faster on the 2nd run ... I would say it took about 30 minutes, certainly no longer than an hour total. Wish I had timed it !!

The screen that it had hung up on, it was past within a few minutes the 2nd time around.

Edited by Angela12345, 19 April 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yes, there are circumstances ComboFix will hang, crash or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable other real-time protection tools or the presence of CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) so that it does not complete successfully. In such cases, it is helpful to know at what stage CF stalled/crashed and to provide that information to the Helper (Gringo) who is assisting you so they can investigate. Glad to hear that it's been sorted out.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users