Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen glitches, goes black, and hard drive stops spinning.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mal90

Mal90

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hello,

okay so for the past 2-3 days my computer has been crashing, and it's almost the same thing every time: the screen glitches with pink, white, and green tiles and lines, the cursor disappears, the screen goes black, and the hard drive stops spinning. All the lights on the front of the computer stay on, the fans stay on, and the monitor doesn't say anything about not receiving a signal. The first time it happened I tried turning it on right away and it booted up and let me sign in, but as it was loading the desktop and icons it glitched again, and froze. after I shut down and let it sit for a while it worked just fine until the next day when it did the same thing again, but twice in one day and with a shorter time between freezes. Today I had a WerFault.exe error pop up and when I clicked ok on it the bottom half of my screen turned pinkish and the computer froze when I restarted the pink tone was still there but it did not show up on any windows that I opened and when the background changed it went away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

P.S. half of the time it has happened I have been playing StarCraft2 if that makes any difference.

P.P.S. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Edited by Mal90, 15 April 2012 - 01:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi -
There are 2 options to look at with this type of fault -
The first known one is Power Supply Unit is Faulty / Dying / or just not putting out enough power - Have it tested - Known to produce "Pixilated effect" -
The other one involves your WerFault.exe error , also known as Windows Error and Fault Reporting.exe tool -
This is one solution if there are currently no hardware problems on your system, or there are no other major software Errors on your system -

The Werfault.exe process is a part of Windows Error Reporting in Windows (Vista and Windows7) - If you do not want certain executable files or programs to send error reports, you may also create a block list.
These are detailed steps you can follow to customize Windows Error and Fault Reporting.exe tool1.Go to Windows Error Reporting > open Control Panel.
2.Click > System and Maintenance, and then click > Problem Reports and Solutions.
3.Click > Change Settings located in the left panel of the Problem Reports and Solutions window.
4.Select an option to configure how you want Windows to look for a solution to your problems. You may allow Windows to do it automatically or ask you every time to check if problem occurs.
5.Next, click the > Advanced settings link.
6.Select On or Off to configure whether you want to use Error Reporting or not.
7.Click Change settings and choose the appropriate option to configure how you want problem reporting to be set for all users and programs.
8.If you choose to use Error Reporting, then click the second Change setting button to configure how error reporting is set for all users. Here, you can choose from the following consent levels:
- Ask each time a problem occurs Windows Error Reporting will ask for permission before sending an error report
- Automatically check for solutions Minimal data is sent to find a possible fix. After consent is given, more data may be sent if requested by Microsoft.
- Automatically check for solutions and send additional information if needed Minimal data along with data that the application developer has indicated as a requirement is sent. This sent data does not contain any personally identifiable information. After consent is given, more data may be supplied if requested by Microsoft.
- Send all data - All data is sent, no prompt required. This setting is configurable only in Group Policy.
9.If you do not want certain executable files or programs to send error reports, you may create a block list. To do this, click Add in the Block list section.
10.Browse through your programs and add them to the list.
11.Click OK to save your settings.You can try the above method as a side line, but it may not fully repair the problem, just the Werfault.exe pop-ups
If you are having any other major problems, do not disable this but post back with the other problems only -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 16 April 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#3 Mal90

Mal90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Thank you for the response noknojon, ironically my computer hasn't given me anymore problems since I posted about the issue, however, I will try your solutions if it happens again.

P.S. My dad and I thought that it might be the hard drive going bad. I that a possibility?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users