Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to restore to factory setting without recovery disc

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I need to restore my computer to its factory settings. I have nothing on here I need to keep that I cannot set up after its reset. I have 3 young daughters that have loaded so much crap on here that it takes 15 minutes to load anything. I have taken it away from them never to touch it again so please help. This was givin to me with no recovery disc or any paperwork. It this possible?
Its a Toshiba Satellite A215
Processor is AMD Turion™ Mobile Technology TL-58 1.90 GHz
Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
32 bit operating system

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

1 or 2 Gigabyte more of memory would help. 1Gb is low for Vista

However Once you get it started try Click the start Orb (Lower Left) look in all programs, Look in all the Tosiba programs groups for Recovery disk maker or anything related to system recovery.

According to the manual the Recovery Disc creator should be in All Programs.

Make the discs first. Then you can try the recovery process.
Press and hold 0 (Zero) Key while turning on the computer and the Toshiba Recovery Wizard should come up.

Keep in mind that there is a chance that using the created discs or the recovery wizard could leave you with a unbootable computer. Try more memory first and uninstall the junk presuming it isn't viruses of course.

Good luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 April 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

July 87, August ?

#3 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Looks like there is nothing that pertains to a recovery disc or system recovery. This computer was purchased in 2008 and looks like it hasnt even been registered.
Using a recovery disk from a different computer using windows 7 is a no-no...right?
update: found backup and restore center...? created a back up disc..is that the same thing as a recovery disc? I wont proceed until you let me know its ok.
Also I am going to order a memory module from toshiba to install.

Edited by Mrs Beach, 12 April 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,358 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi, I would go to http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Toshiba-memory/Satellite+A215+Series-models.html and compare their prices against Toshiba's prices. Make sure you pick the right A215 model from that list.

Currently you should have two pieces of 512Mb memory. Since there are only two slots you need to pull one out to put on in. If you buy one 1Gb you will end up with 1.5Gb. If you can afford it two 1Gb would give better performance. However if you were originally happy with the performance before the laptop got loaded down, save your money for now.
In my part of NJ, USA we can buy a 1Gb laptop memory for around $25 retail.

No, that is a different disc. It is useful however since it is used if the computer will not start you can use it to run the startup repair for example.

For example Toshiba recovery discs are designed to only work with Toshiba computers and at the same time certain models. They check and if your computer isn't on their internal list they abort. Most other brands are the same.

For the time being I would go to the control panel and choose uninstall a program and start cleaning out some of the junk you say your daughters installed. Update your Antivirus and run a full system scan just in case.

You can try this and see if it comes up. I'm not saying to do it. Just want to see if it can be run in case of need. If it starts the recovery manager you can always cancel out. I'm just curious if it works.

"Press and hold 0 (Zero) Key while turning on the computer and the Toshiba Recovery Wizard should come up."

You can also order a Recovery disc set from Toshiba. However they are not free.
That is one of the options on this page. https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceLanding.jsp
Acclaim recovery media, which will lead you here.
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp?orderType=SFF

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 12 April 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

July 87, August ?

#5 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Since you are running vista...

Your toshiba should come with a recovery partition that is hidden. This contains all the data you'll need to restore your operating system.

To check to see if you have it:

Shutdown your PC.

On startup, press F8 once you see a picture and keep pressing till you see white text on a black field showing different options. The top most option will read: Repair Your Computer.

Once you choose this, it will load the WRE (windows recovery environment). You may need to log in to proceed.

Once you have gotten in, you should see a box appear with several options in the form of links. If you have a recovery partition, you'll see the lowest option called something like: Toshiba Recovery Wizard

NOTE: some toshiba recovery methods still require the disc, even if you have the partition. However, you can purchase the discs direct from toshiba for only $25 + shipping.

See this link for more information:

https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp
A+ Certified Support Technician

#6 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Well I have been unintstalling all apps that are junk and have not been used .. I uninstalled something and I cant even remember what it was called but during the uninstall the computer screen looked funny .. like it looks in safe mode .. then I uninstalled norton 360 and now it keeps telling me norton 360 has found an internal problem .. good gosh I think Im making it worse ... tried doing the hit zero while turning on ... during this time it keeps asking for a password .. the password has a zero in it..lol..so I have to let go of the zero and then esc button in order to enter it .. all in all it just continued to the welcome screen... going to try the f8 option now...
Oh lordy ... ok using the f8 option it took me to the "systems recover options" screen.. I guess the user name or password are incorrect ...now what? (sorry)

Toshiba shows only one option for a recovery disk for this model and ser# - •SW Media - DVD-SATELLITE-A210-Win Vista 32bit Home Premium-EN (USD $29.95)would this work? (it says A210 not A215)

Edited by Mrs Beach, 12 April 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,358 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

If that is the one they show then it should work. Many of the Toshiba models are very similar A200 & A205 for example.

It sounds like you uninstalled the video driver as well as the Norton.

Try doing a system restore back a couple of days.
Using Windows 7 or Vista System Restore
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

Then when all is well post a list of what you are thinking of uninstalling (all of them?)
We can look at it and give some guidance.

Good Luck
Roger

July 87, August ?

#8 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

I tried the system restore twice, first using one day then three. Both times it told me;
"system restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occured during system restore."
This is actually my brothers computer and he wants me to order the recovery disc and then more memory. I guess theres no sense in uninstalling all those files if we are just going to do the recovery in a week. I would ask that maybe you can give me some pointers on doing the system recovery. I have installed memory before (and watched the how to video for this one)but never have done a recovery. He had a friend of a friend do a recovery about a year and a half ago with someone elses recovery disc. It worked fine but all the files were transferred from the other computer and he didnt know how to uninstall so never bothered. My question is will a system revovery work if it has been done before? Just this time he wants it back to factory settings.
Thank you so so much. This forum, because of people like you, is such a blessing.

Edited by Mrs Beach, 12 April 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

The recovery discs will most likely come with directions however just in case.

When you turn on the computer and the Toshiba logo appears start pressing the F12 key.
That will be a boot device menu.
choose the CD/DVD drive after the 1st recovery disc is inserted.

Just remember everything will be lost.

Follow the onscreen prompts.

You can get better details with pictures by going to the Toshiba website and downloading the user manual.
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp

You do not need to create a account or login as those options are for the forums there.

Just choose the Download tab, enter the needed information and download the owner manual. It covers the A210 and the A215.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 April 2012 - 09:22 AM.

July 87, August ?

#10 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Will do and once again .. thank you so much :busy:

#11 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Just an update and a few more questions .... recovery disc arrived and it went well. If I install more memory will it make a noticable difference in the speed? this is windows vista 32 bit os .. processor: AMD Turion ™ 64x2 Mobile Technologu TL-58 1.90 GHz
also after recovery there are still alot of programs that came with it that he never used and wont use in the future. I tried to unintall them ... did some but most of them dont show up in the uninstall list .. I can find them and right click on them but there is no unintall option. Is there a way I can uninstall them? They are

VONGO
ULEAD MOVIE FACTORY
PHOTOWORKS
NAPSTER
LOJACK FOR LAPTOPS
AUTO BACKUP FREE TRIAL
EMUSIC
SHUTTERFLY
FREE WEB SITE

LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF THESE I SHOULDNT UNINSTALL FOR SOME REASON .. ARE THEY TAKING UP ALOT OF MEMORY EVEN THOUGH THEY ARENT BEING USED?

Edited by Mrs Beach, 18 April 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,358 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

They are not taking up memory, they are taking up hard drive space.

I personally do not worry about them.

These could be handy to have depending on whether or not you need them.
QUICKBOOKS FINANCIAL
ULEAD MOVIE FACTORY
PHOTOWORKS

For all of your list, Click the start orb and look in the "All Programs" if they aren't there that means they may not be installed. If they are there they may have a uninstall with them there.

The thing to remember is that if you get rid of them and it turns out you needed them then you may have to restore the windows again. I tend to err on the side of caution.

Vista and Windows 7 can be a bit slow with 1GB memory, 2GB is usually OK, 3Gb could help depends on your work habits.
Over 3GB is wasted with 32 Bit Windows Vista or 7

Hope this helps
Roger

July 87, August ?

#13 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

Yes it certainly does help .. ordered 2GB and I think that should pretty much take care of it. He said he wants it to be "lightening fast" like mine. I told him to buy a new computer ..lol! Thanks again.

Edited by Mrs Beach, 19 April 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Agree with rotor123 - Just a few extra links for you -
Toshiba Satellite A215-S4747 Laptop/Notebook. << Link to Manual -
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400,
DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running.
32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB.

Video for installing memory -
http://www.youtube.com/embed/MbPaR1Ci-Ug << This may also help (shows a Dell, but it is a bit Generic) See the Manual above for other details -

Added Installing Memory link -

Edited by noknojon, 19 April 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#15 Mrs Beach

Mrs Beach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

thank you Noknojon ... if I have two slots .. do I replace the one thats already in there with the 2GB or do I add the 2GB and keep the 1GB in there? If so which slot should I use for the new one?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users