Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes only upon initial start up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tybudd

Tybudd

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I've seen in many threads that there isn't just one specific thing to look for, because many things can cause your system to freeze.

What I'd like to know is, what steps would a profesional take to find this issue?

I've ran programs looking for spyware and viruses and seem to be clean:

• AVG
  • Spybot
  • ad-aware

The strange thing is that, this only happens after my computer has been off for a few hours, and in the first 5 minutes of starting it up, it freezes completely, you can't move the mouse, pull up the task manager or anything.

I power it down and back up, and normally I'm fine for hours on in, its just always that initial start up, the question is why, and how would you look for the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

Ummm...i would try a couple of things. First of all, pop your memory out and put it back in. Check all your cables, and run a start up repair through windows. Do you have access to any kind of hardware diagnostic tools? Can you boot into safe mode? I worked on a computer that did the same thing, and it was memory failure.

Cheers
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#3 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hardware diag, not sure if I do, but if I don't I can get it, I'll do that, and yes I can boot up in safe mode

To be continued with the results

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=85161

Edited by Tybudd, 04 April 2012 - 12:50 AM.

#4 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

If safe mode gives you no problems, its most likely either a driver issue, or a windows installation issue. Your easiet fix would probably just be a fresh install of windows :P
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users