Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best combination of softwares for good protection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 james2002

james2002

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

I got vicious trojans a few times and I uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and bought NOD32 (ESET) security suite according a review I read on the net.

What else I should do to keep these trojans, virus away?

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Eset is a good program. I would add superantivirus and malwarebytes for on demand malware scans.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 james2002

james2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Many thanks. I got Malwarebytes on the laptop. Hopefully no more trojans and virus.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,084 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I tend to think that free software which is effective...is better than paid software which is effective. My lack of malware on my systems seems to reinforce my presumptions.

The biggest defense factor in any system defense program...of course...is the user. There is no known software which can protect your system from your habits...you are the weak point in the defense system.

For the record, I use Avira Free AV or MSE and SUPERAntiSpyware in tandem on each of my two computers...they seem to do the job, in conjunction with habits which allow me not to be my own enemy.

I will also add...users often overlook the most basic approach to protecting the system...which is promptly downloading/installing all critical updates issued by Microsoft, as well as updated versions of Java and Flash. All of these updates come about because of known security situations which exist in those apps...and which left unpatched, leaves the system vulnerable to malware.

Louis

#5 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Viruses are often found on websites that deal with things such as music-sharing and illegal downloads. A good habit would be to avoid these sites.

Also, if you surf the net and google frequently, then you may want to download Web of Trust (WOT).

http://www.mywot.com/
Malware shall not pass!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus.

For more specific information to consider, please read:
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users