Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI - Desktop PC to TV - (No Audio)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jasor31385

Jasor31385

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hello.

I have been trying to get my desktop PC to play content on my TV using the HDMI port on my computer. I recently installed an NVIDIA GeForce 330 graphics card which has the HDMI port included. The video works fine on my TV but the audio is missing.

When I open up windows sound settings there are three options:

Speakers
Speakers
Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

But nothing for HDMI. I've researched the S/PDIF thing pretty thoroughly but I am not sure what EXACTLY it means...I don't have the RCA end or the Toslink inputs on my computer. My video card came with a cable that appears like it needs to be hooked up inside of the tower but I couldn't find anywhere for it to attach. On one end of the cable is a small-ish 6-pin female square connector and the other end is a three pin male rectangle connector. The wires leading between the two ends are three black wires and two yellow wires. I'm not sure if I am supposed to be putting this cable somewhere to make the audio work.

I have just installed all of the latest drivers for my graphics card and ran a program called UniBlue Driver Scanner and it came up with a few out-of-date drivers but their installation didn't help the problem.

I have tried rebooting many times and unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable in and out. I also considered the possibility of the HDMI port not being able to transmit audio which would force me to buy a DVI-to-TV cable for the audio but the NVIDIA website says that their HDMI transmits both video and audio.

Also I have tried checking in the BIOS to see if the HDMI port is disabled or something but the only thing I could do was to disable the audio portion of my motherboard I guess which left me with no sound at all.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Computer Specs:

GU: NVIDIA GeForce 330 2GB DDR2 PCI Express
Integrated Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250u 1.61gHz
RAM: 4GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Here is a similar thread that I was in a while back...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic442363.html

There he needed to install the HDMI audio driver for his video chipset. It sounds like that may be what you are missing.

Let us know if that still doesn't work or if you have trouble finding that driver. We'll need to know manufacturer and model of the TV (some have NVidia audio drivers available from their websites).

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 02 April 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

We'll also need to know the exact make and model of that NVidia video card. I have a suspicion that the cable you didn't hook up is for the audio, OTOH James could be right too. That is why the make and model are needed.

A DVI-to-TV cable is a video only cable, whereas HDMI can carry audio and video.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

101 @ September 17

#4 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hey guys.

The make and model of my TV is below:

Make: Phillips
Model: 30PW8402/37

The make and model of my Graphics Card is below:

Make: NVIDIA
Model: GeForce GT330 2GB DDR2

#5 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Also, I ran a search earlier for Phillips TV drivers and came across this forum posting: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2252-No-sound-on-tv-connecting-laptop-via-hdmi

However, I did what it suggested (which was to install former drivers for NVIDIA Graphics) but to no avail.

Thank you...

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I don't have anything on my bench with HDMI that is NVidia, just some ATI Radeons so this isn't a great example.

When you right click the sound icon in the systray (next to the time/date) and choose PLAYBACK DEVICES do you see the NVidia HDMI Audio device listed?

Here is one of mine with the ATI HDMI audio driver circled. This should show up even if it is not plugged into the TV.

Posted Image

Maybe someone else here can post a screenshot of what the NVidia version looks like.

James

#7 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

James. Thank you for the quick response.

here's what my screen shot looks like (and, no there is no nvidia hdmi audio icon)

and when I choose the second or third option I don't get any sound.

Edited by Jasor31385, 02 April 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi

What version NVidia driver do you have installed?

James

#9 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hey James.

V. 295.51

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Okay, I found some interesting issues for that driver on page 27 of these release notes.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/295.51/295.51-Win7-WinVista-Desktop-Release-Notes.pdf
Especially the part about not supporting any Phillips displays for geforce 9 series and lower (yours is geforce 3 series).

Do you see anything about setting up digital audio in the NVidia control panel?

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 03 April 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi James, Jasor31385

1. Maybe the easiest workaround is to use a audio cable if the TV set has a audio in that can be paired to that HDMI input.
2. Or Something like this:Example of what to look for only

StarTech.com VGA to HDMI Video Converter with Audio

Manufacturer: StarTech.com
Mfg. Part number: VGAHD2HDMI

The VGA2HDMI VGA HD to HDMI video converter with Audio allows you to convert an analog RCA audio signal and VGA video to a single HDMI cable. A great way to adapt your PC video signal enabling you to view multimedia content from your computer on your HDTV the way it was meant to be seen and heard.

This HD15/VGA (with RCA Audio) to HDMI format converter is a great way to wow your audience with the full power of digital content, supporting input resolutions of up to 1080p for HD and 1600x1200 for PC. The VGAHD2HDMI device also supports converting a Component signal to HDMI using the included Component to VGA adapter cable.

You would probably need to get a computer to RCA audio cable too.
3. A VGA to Component converter with audio in.
4. A different video card.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 April 2012 - 05:29 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

101 @ September 17

#12 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

James,

In the NVIDIA display window I DO see a tab for audio and there is a selection for HDMI audio that is default "disabled" but -- upon enabling it, I still get nothing...

Roger: The easiest workaround is just to turn my computer speakers WAY up and watch content without TV audio but I really feel like this is a problem that I want to solve correctly.

Here's a series of photos depicting what happens when I enable the Phillips HDMI TV in the NVIDIA control display.

Attached Files

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Curse you Phillips and NVidia!!!

If you do choose to accept the new settings does the device show up in that Sound Playback Devices window that you and I posted screenshots of before and say 'disabled' like the Optical output device says in my screenshot?

James

#14 Jasor31385

Jasor31385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

No, the sound options window remains the same.

I just upgraded my driver to 296.10 but no change. :|

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Here is an old fix from NVidia...
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2484

Let us know if you try this and how it goes. I'll keep checking for something more current.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users