Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp "a write command during the test has failed to complete"Missing Start Menu/Desktop Display Icons

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 unicornpuppyglitter

unicornpuppyglitter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Hi there. I was surfing the internet and suddenly about 30 windows popped up saying "System message - Write fault error. A write command during the test has failed to complete". Another window came up saying "System error. Hard disk failure detected. It's highly recommended to run complete HDD scan to prevent loss of personal files." The buttons given were "Scan and repair" and "Cancel and restart" I did not press either and have come here seeking help. Please advise as to what steps I can take. Thanks a million in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tonyNumb

tonyNumb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

1) Boot your PC into safe mode.
2) Delete c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\temp\SoftwareUpdates.exe (do not double click/run it!)
3) Delete any suspect programs as c:\ProgramData\xxx.exe, i.e. rmIhrYfwFjUdy.exe or QFUDzzwTiL1aQy.exe. They had weird names, were launched from ProgramData, had no Description or CompanyName.
4) Empty the recycle bin.
5) Restart PC.
Think it will help you fix the problem.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Follow the guide given here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Let me know how if it worked

good luck

#4 unicornpuppyglitter

unicornpuppyglitter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hi there. I appreciate your reply. In Safe Mode, I am unable to find any files from my computer. There is nothing in the C:/ drive when I open it up :( I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

narenxp: Do I need to download and pay for the Malware removal program? Thanks!

Edited by unicornpuppyglitter, 02 April 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

You need not pay for it.Its free version

Download the UNHIDE tool to restore your hidden files

Download malwarebytes to remove infections

good luck

#6 unicornpuppyglitter

unicornpuppyglitter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hey there. Thanks everyone for all your help. What ended up working perfectly is this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-hdd.

These are definitely the correct steps to remove this malware and make the missing icons and desktop items reappear.

Make sure you follow instructions closely :)

Best of luck, let me know how it goes.

#7 kljash

kljash

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hello I have followed this tutorial multiple times and malwarebytes detects 5 or 6 things every time but when i restart my computer after malwarebytes finishes the virus is already back on my computer any ideas? thanks

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Create a new topic

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users