Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 video drivers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

I had to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit on a Dell Vostro 3300 because the original hard drive died.

I have the OS installed and all but one driver. There seems to be a second video adaptor in the device manager that while the OS reports that it is installed successfully when I uninstall and reinstall it, I am still getting a 'Code 10' for it (see attached pic) in the Device Manager.

Things I have tried.
- Uninstalling and reinstalling driver
- Running Windows updates to see if another driver suggestion is detected..none is.
- Went to Dell's website and tried to install suggested drivers...I have a choice of Intel and Nvidia, but I am not sure what this adaptor is..the first one is obviously Itel, while the second one it is hard to tell, no Hardware ID description.
- Tried to find a Hardware ID to find the adaptor,
but the Resource Tab just says 'The device isn't using any resources because it has a problem. The Details Tab just says 'Standar VGA Graphis Adaptor. The Driver Tab just says a Microsoft Driver with a version of 6.1.7600.16385. I've tried to Update this, which is reported that it is up to date and also uninstall, reboot and see if it will install correctly, which I receive a messge that it does, but apparently it does not. The General Tab just says 'The device cannot start..Code 10.

Any ideas as to waht this is? Also, where are there even two video adaptors for a laptop?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pic.PNG   35.03KB   7 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

Hi -
Try to update the hardware's device driver through Windows Update. To access Windows Update, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Check if there are updates missing that are contained there - Check for Custom install, not Express install, as it may not be regarded as important.
http://update.microsoft.com/

Regards -
EDIT - This was listed for Vista and Windows7 also -
Be sure and logon as ADMINDo these to clear corruption and repair/replace damaged/missing system files.

Start - type in Search box - COMMAND find at top of list - RIGHT CLICK - RUN AS ADMIN

sfc /scannow

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
generates in Windows Vista cbs.log
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Then run checkdisk - schedule it to run at next start and then Apply OK your way out then restart.
How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

Edited by noknojon, 02 April 2012 - 03:51 AM.

******************************************* Waiting for a reply ??

Press F5 to Refresh as you may have one waiting************************************************

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users