Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials VS. AVG Free

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NicoleKeeler

NicoleKeeler

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hello again! I was looking for opinions on which was better at protecting my computer against bleep. :) Micrsoft Security Essentials? or AVG (the free basic)?

I have Windows 7. Thanks!
do what you do baby!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Given the choice of those two I would recommend MSE, however you should read this first: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

NOTE: I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

With the release of AVG 2011/2012, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Unlike previous versions, AVG 2011 cannot be easily disabled to prevent it from interfering with other security tools. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Given the choice of those two I would recommend MSE, however you should read this first: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

NOTE: I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

With the release of AVG 2011/2012, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Unlike previous versions, AVG 2011 cannot be easily disabled to prevent it from interfering with other security tools. Read these related discussions:

Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

You know what sucks for me? At my college they have a Cisco NAC which forces you to install AVG as an antivirus in order to connect to the school's wifi. So you can have something like MSE and you would have to uninstall it and get AVG instead. Other than that you options are slim: get a 3g card or play minesweeper.

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I used AVG 8.0 and 9.0, and both were problematic for me. Both in the realm of accessibility with screen reading software, as well as with false positives. I use MSE on my Windows 7 Pro laptop and GFI's Vipre on my 2008 server.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 Matt_GA

Matt_GA

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Isn't it ironic that MSE is so highly recommended, given Microsoft's history of vulnerabilities in it's other products? B)

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 2,098 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

I have been running MSE since it came off beta, so far so good it is fast in both load and scan times!

COUGAR SolutionRSB400 tower 400 watt supply Win 7 Pro

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-CF  board Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

16 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800, 64 Gig ADATA SX900 SSD

120 Gig INTEL SS DSC2CT120A3 SSD, Three others up and running

#7 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hi Old Phil -
I have also run MSE on both XP Pro and Home as well as Windows7 and apart from 1 minor glitch it runs great -

This has picked up several infections and isolated them without much problem at all

While the MSE was out for 2 or 3 days I used Avira and it just seemed so slooowwww compared to MSE

Confirmed user here (unless M/$oft changes it greatly) -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users